Help with tank and water parameters

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m feeling frustrated. I’ve always had smaller nano tanks and had mostly success but couldn’t grow all the corals I’d like or keep all the fish I’d like so I got a 90 gallon with a 25 gallon sump that I can start a chaeto refugium.
I checked the nitrate level with my new Hanna checker and it was 13.3 phosphate was high as well alkalinity was 7.9
Anyway my frustration is that some say my nitrate is fine and not to worry but all the charts say differently.
I have all the right equipment I’m doing weekly water changes and all that’s suggested to keep a healthy reef tank.
Some say it’s not good to have almost zero nitrate and phosphate others say different
What should I base my progress by ? How often should I test the water parameters?
If I’m keeping up with cleaning and maintenance and doing what I can to keep my parameters stable shouldn’t I be able to grow healthy corals ?
What are the most important parameters to test and watch for ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.3 is fine - ignore what the charts say. You always want at least some nitrates and phosphates as running at or near zero will most likely starve your tank and cause other problems. Anything under 15 is perfectly fine; until you start going over 25-50 I wouldn't be overly concerned.

You can look at commercial products like NOPOX to bring your nitrate and phosphate levels down if need be until you refugium gets up and running.

Other than temperature and salinity, I'd say alkalinity, calcium and magnesium will be the most important for corals, followed by occasional testing for pH, nitrates and phosphates.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back