Help with tank build lighting

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I took my office tank down during the Covid shutdowns, and I'm finally ready to set up a new one in its place. It will be sps dominant in the tank. The tank is a Plant Aquarium 60"x21" deepx24" wide with the external overflow and I'm currently debating lights. I have a brand new ATI powermodule 60" fixture 4x75 watt LEDs and 8 x 80watt T5's that has been the whole plan to light the tank. With Orphek bringing out the new iCon, I'm tempted to switch over to a couple of those with 2x or the OR3 blue light bars....I've never had great success with LEDs, but I assumed that was because I did not provide enough nutrients for proper coloration and I probably overdid the intensity too quickly...So I'm looking for thoughts and from those with experience between t5's to LEDs and vise versa. Thanks for your input.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I took my office tank down during the Covid shutdowns, and I'm finally ready to set up a new one in its place. It will be sps dominant in the tank. The tank is a Plant Aquarium 60"x21" deepx24" wide with the external overflow and I'm currently debating lights. I have a brand new ATI powermodule 60" fixture 4x75 watt LEDs and 8 x 80watt T5's that has been the whole plan to light the tank. With Orphek bringing out the new iCon, I'm tempted to switch over to a couple of those with 2x or the OR3 blue light bars....I've never had great success with LEDs, but I assumed that was because I did not provide enough nutrients for proper coloration and I probably overdid the intensity too quickly...So I'm looking for thoughts and from those with experience between t5's to LEDs and vise versa. Thanks for your input.
That powemodule will be tough to beat. I would start with that. You always try something different later.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That powemodule will be tough to beat. I would start with that. You always try something different later.
I agree with this. I say go with the powermodule and then change things if needed. Being as you are setting it back up, light will not come into play too much until you get it cycled, etc. Unless you are restocking from a tank at home, for example.

OP
OP
Lemec

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, everything will be new and fresh….I had an outbreak of vermitids snails and decided my absence from the office along with Covid, I’d just start fresh by bleaching the rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back