Help with trace elements

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my latest ICP test results. I was previously low on my trace elements and iodine so I started dosing Replenish and Lugols. These are results from my 2 tanks which both use the same salt for WC. Most of the elements have improved with my current dosing but I don't know if I am doing it wrong. I figure the yellow numbers are off. I dose 5 drops of Lugols in the 200G once a week. I dose 1 drop of Lugols in the 100G. I also dose 10 ml and 5 ml of Replenish in each tank. Is it that my Lugols dosing in the big tank is too little cause the iodine is 0? Also not sure how to bring the cobalt level up and is that important. Is there anything else that I need to change? I do WC every 2 weeks.

200G
IMG_0022.PNG

100G
IMG_0023.PNG

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you really want to get into trace elements, then I would suggest you read up on the reef moonshiners method/program. It's all about maintaining trace elements at or slightly above NSW levels. Andre has a group on FB. You can DL his handbook for free here.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say what’s really happening here but one thing I would think about is Did you send for the ICP right before or after a water change and when you dose? Since these elements will get used up the amount of corals in the tank plus this timing can have a pretty big impact on what the result will be. It might help to share that for anybody else who can answer better more about these things.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Seachem iodide at 3ml per day on my 200G mixed and this keeps my iodide at 0.03-0.06ppm.

While water changes are good, they don’t do much for iodine.

Iodine is consumed by leathers, Gorgonians and most softies in general, so, not uncommon to have low, or zero if not adding some back to your mix.

I match Seachem Trace elements dose to Seachem iodide dose so again 3ml per day.

If you get a zero and trust it, then add more, at one point, it should show. Put a couple of drops in 1 liter of water and “test” the test.

OP
OP
bucfan

bucfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say what’s really happening here but one thing I would think about is Did you send for the ICP right before or after a water change and when you dose? Since these elements will get used up the amount of corals in the tank plus this timing can have a pretty big impact on what the result will be. It might help to share that for anybody else who can answer better more about these things.
Sent it 5 days before the water change. I do the change every 2 weeks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back