Help with Urchin Acclimation

jk1151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- I had done a lot of reading before picking up my first urchin but now have a question. I was planning on drip acclimating for awhile to match salinity and then hoping it would displace enough water from the lfs bag I could put it in without much worry of introducing any pests. But my lfs store just told me to dump him in with that water because they don’t like air! Now I’m worried because I don’t really want to dumb their water in my tank! I’ve worked hard to make sure there are no pests and now I’m not sure best acclimation procedure for this little guy. I have no fish yet, in month 3 of my tank and quarantine everything prior to putting in but read you don’t have to QT urchins so I was going to put him right in tonight. Any help on best way to acclimate and put in to tank would be welcome!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drip it but dont take it out of water. It's ok to have them out of water for a second (that is from my experience) but that's not ideal

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- I had done a lot of reading before picking up my first urchin but now have a question. I was planning on drip acclimating for awhile to match salinity and then hoping it would displace enough water from the lfs bag I could put it in without much worry of introducing any pests. But my lfs store just told me to dump him in with that water because they don’t like air! Now I’m worried because I don’t really want to dumb their water in my tank! I’ve worked hard to make sure there are no pests and now I’m not sure best acclimation procedure for this little guy. I have no fish yet, in month 3 of my tank and quarantine everything prior to putting in but read you don’t have to QT urchins so I was going to put him right in tonight. Any help on best way to acclimate and put in to tank would be welcome!
think it should be fine when i put my longspine urchin in i grabbed it by a spine which broke and he went flying into my laundry basket pulled him out and put him in the tank an he was fine

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've transferred dozens of sea stars and urchins without water after acclimation, and they all did fine. A second of air exposure isn't really a concern.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've transferred dozens of sea stars and urchins without water after acclimation, and they all did fine. A second of air exposure isn't really a concern.
+1
Transferred 2 tuxedo urchins this way, no problems. Would be much more concerned about dumping the LFS water into your tank, I would never do that lol

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen sea urchins exposed to air during low tide on sand bars in the Philippines. These were short spine sea urchins like Halloween sea urchins. No issues at all with them. They just slowly crawled to water. Same with some the starfish there. I wouldn’t keep them out for hours but a few minutes wouldn’t cause any issues. I have also have sea urchins on the tank wall exposed for 10-15 minutes during a water changes. No problems. BTW, I have 7 urchins between my display and sumps.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree no lfs water near your tank ,no prob air transfer,agree rotate under water so no air is trapped in mouth underside

OP
OP
J

jk1151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone - I got these after the fact unfortunately. He seems to be doing well for sure! I am glad to hear a brief second of air is no big deal because that is what I ended up doing. I just couldn't put that water in to my brand new tank. Appreciate you all.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think it should be fine when i put my longspine urchin in i grabbed it by a spine which broke and he went flying into my laundry basket pulled him out and put him in the tank an he was fine
I want someone to animate this so I can save the video as my lockscreen background... I know it sucked for the urchin but dang this sounded funny

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back