Help with zoas doing the "umbrella" thing.

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I have a Zoa dominant 40 breeder. A week and a half ago I added several new frags tp the sand bed and glued them into the rock last week. Over the past few days a few (Pandora, Flaming Rainbow and Rastas) of the new ones started to do the umbrella thing. all other zoas are fine.

When the new frags were added in I was in the process of getting my N03 and P04 under control. When acclimated no3 was at 20ppm and p04 at 5ppm. They are now at 5 and near 0 respectively. I wonder if the shift in nutrients upset them? I fed reef roids, phyto and some Reef energy ab+ last night and saw good feeding response from all.

Sorry if this is a common questions. I've just never seen zoas do this before.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait it out, most zoas are incredibly durable and resistant. Your Po4 was high obviously but 20ppm nitrate is nothing for zoas, they thrive in that level. The sharp change in Po4 would affect most corals, its usually advisable to do that slowly. Give them time and im sure they will perk back up. Be advised reef roids will raise your Po4. I stopped feeding reef roids for that issue alone. Its a great product, but I dont have much algae to help control Po4 and switched to live phyto which i much prefer to reef roids.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 75 71.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back