HELP!! WORRIED ABOUT MY FISH!!

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got a firefish about 30 minutes ago.. and they are just at the bottom of the tank?

IMG_8741.JPG

IMG_8740.JPG

is this normal? i'm very worried. he's breathing a little heavy. is he just adjusting? or is he dying? i'm very worried i need answers ASAP!

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to break it to you but i believe it’s a parasite. That happened with me when I had brook (clown disease) and when my friend had marine velvet.
Edit just read full post he could be adjusting. Mine went to hide in the rock and then sat on the bottom for a day or so. But he wasn’t breathing heavy

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's adjusting, I acclimated mine for an hour and he still laid against the same rock for the whole day. I'd just do as little in the tank as possible and keep them calm

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if take parasite precautions at all times. Preventing is always better than curing

OP
OP
kamuii

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if take parasite precautions at all times. Preventing is always better than curing

he looked pretty healthy in the tank i bought him from, when the guy tried to get him in the net he was super fast he barely got him

OP
OP
kamuii

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

but i'm still worried !! he moved around for a second just now and i'm just gonna watch him and monitor him.. i pray he'll be okay!!

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah same thing happened when I was getting mine. Just let them get used to where they are but like brett said, watch and make sure it isn't a parasite

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a really new tank too, how long has it been running?

OP
OP
kamuii

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
he's still in the corner.. but he does get up and swim every few minutes.. he seems to be doing okay.. breathing is calm now

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drip acclimate and the tank is fully cycled and has been up for two months
Ok great. Little guy is more than likely stressed. Just give him time to adjust and try not to bother him too much. I like to keep the light low (not completely black), just ambient light in the room giving them time to adjust. Should be fine...keep us posted.

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got Torpedo III a month ago, he sat at the bottom of the tank for 2 days straight. I was sure he was a goner as he was shipped and thanks to the lovely ever changing Chicagoland weather the water was really really cold. When he was shipped, it was 90 in the area so he was shipped with an ice pack. The next day, of his arrival, the high was 58! Luckily he and 1 other fish survived. 2 others and a RBTA did not. :(

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cover your tank if possible even a temp towel might help stressed fire fish can and will jump....

OP
OP
kamuii

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got Torpedo III a month ago, he sat at the bottom of the tank for 2 days straight. I was sure he was a goner as he was shipped and thanks to the lovely ever changing Chicagoland weather the water was really really cold. When he was shipped, it was 90 in the area so he was shipped with an ice pack. The next day, of his arrival, the high was 58! Luckily he and 1 other fish survived. 2 others and a RBTA did not. :(

i'm sorry about the lost fish and the RBTA!! although i'm glad the 1 pulled through!! i have some confidence he'll survive but i'm still worried.. hopefully he'll be okay

OP
OP
kamuii

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cover your tank if possible even a temp towel might help stressed fire fish can and will jump....

i have a lid and i'll see what i can do.. i'm just gonna watch him and try to make everything calm as possible for him

OP
OP
kamuii

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they doing any better?

when i woke up this morning to check on him he was more out of the corner and kinda in the front of the tank? but still on the side, but now i just checked on him again and he's back where he was last night. he's swimming every so often.

IMG_8744.JPG

sorry for the bad picture, i had to zoom in and didn't want to get too close to the tank to startle him.

OP
OP
kamuii

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres some better pictures i got from the side... also when should i feed him?

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8746.JPG

IMG_8747.JPG

also he decided to turn around in the last pic, which kinda comforts me in some odd way because at least he can swim [emoji27] although i'm still worried for him..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back