Help!

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope someone is around that can help. Some of this rock is so covered that I can't tell which side is up? The other rock I've had in the past was pretty much dead base rock so it didn't matter what side I put up or down.
Any sure fire way to tell for sure when there seems to be life and critters all around a piece?

Also...what are the tiny clear shrimp? Good or bad? All you can really make out is thier eyes and intestinal tract. Those aren't mantis are they? Aren't the mantis colored?
I've got a bowl of them sitting here that I shook out of my rock along with a couple gorilla crabs, etc.
Help! And thanks!
Also.... I don't know what to do with the crabs and shrimp to keep them alive until Randy, etc can pick them up? I'm not going to put them in my tank.
Any ideas on how to keep them alive, warm, etc. right now they're in a big bowl but I doubt they will last very long like that.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hard to tell which side to use sometimes you just have to make a judgement call and just try to keep the best sides up, sometimes it helps to wait until after your tank cycles to see what is going to survive and what isn't. Try and prioritize what you want to keep, I would put the macro algaes at the bottom of the list along with any rock boring clams, although with the clams be careful how you position the rock. Turkey wing clams are very strong and if you place them against another rock they will open and shift the rock work possibly causing a rock slide.

If you want I can probably stop and help with some of the hitchhiker ID's just let me know.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks John. Randay stopped by last night as i was worried about keeping the critters alive over night without putting them in my tank. They are now residents of the school. I've got at least 1 good sized < 2 to 2.5 inches long> Mantis in my tank! He came out this morning to say hello and then took off before I could do anything. If anyone can get him out of my tank, he's yours! What's the best way to trap the buggers?

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle trap, cut a the top off of a one liter bottle and invert it back inside itself so that the neck sits inside the bottle. Hot glue or super glue the edges so that stays together then put a piece of shrimp or other food inside. Then just wait until he goes in after the food.

You can use a larger or smaller bottle depending on the size of the critter you are trying to trap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm??? Color me clueless:squigglemouth:! I'm trying to visualize this trap but not quite getting it. I'm wondering why the Mantis couldn't just climb out again?

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to attatch an image but forgot so here it is
trap.gif
http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/images/trap.gif

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys starting your own version of the deadliest catch? Lol

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA! Dennis is on the way over right now to help me out and help me figure out why my tank won't break syphon and why everytime I cut power my sump overflows big time! Gotta get that figured out and fixed before I leave town next weekend. That's all I would need is to have a power outage and have my tank run dry and my equipment burn up! ARG! So for now... the Mantis takes a backseat to my sump overflowing!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA! Dennis is on the way over right now to help me out and help me figure out why my tank won't break syphon and why everytime I cut power my sump overflows big time! Gotta get that figured out and fixed before I leave town next weekend. That's all I would need is to have a power outage and have my tank run dry and my equipment burn up! ARG! So for now... the Mantis takes a backseat to my sump overflowing!

Got your overflow problem figured out? Catch tha Mantis with the bottle trap yet? If/when you do, let me know, I'll take him off your hands.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much I think. Dennis helped a lot. I've seen the bugger twice now but he's too quick and won't take the bait in the trap. Too many live barnacles for him to eat I think. i'm hoping he'll get more settled and braver with time. He's yours as soon as I can get him out that's for sure. i actually think there's more than 1. At least two. One I saw is at least 2 inches long. Maybe longer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back