How can I get my aptasia to come out?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading that people have had bad experiences with mixing the 2, and some have had good. How big is your tank, and do you think I should worry about it?

Do you thinks it's possible that the person picked up a camel shrimp, and that's why They had problems?
I have them in a 210, in a 40, and I’ve had them in a 24 gallon without any issues. All mixed reefs with plenty of LPS and meat corals.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are young. Probably 6-7 months old. Thanks for the tip. I’ll keep an eye out as they get older.

Young I never had issues. Had several of what are commonly called Peppermints over the years. All turned into coral munchers. Usually LPS and seemed to prefer acans.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in a 210, in a 40, and I’ve had them in a 24 gallon without any issues. All mixed reefs with plenty of LPS and meat corals.
Sorry to keep bothering you, but do you think 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 pep would be ok in a 15G cube?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit about 100+ in my tank yesterday with Aptasia-X. It killed all but the two biggest in about an hr. I am going to hit the two big ones again today. They don't have their mouths open though. I don't know how many more will turn up but I truly had a metric ton of them in my 30gal tank. Now I probably have 8-10 left I spotted that I will hit today.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to keep bothering you, but do you think 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 pep would be ok in a 15G cube?
Not bothering me at all! I think they would be. I have 3 peppermint and 1 fire shrimp in the 40 gallon and they’re doing great together. Always hard to know if any one specimen will be the one that decides to go rogue but in all likelihood they should be okay together.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit about 100+ in my tank yesterday with Aptasia-X. It killed all but the two biggest in about an hr. I am going to hit the two big ones again today. They don't have their mouths open though. I don't know how many more will turn up but I truly had a metric ton of them in my 30gal tank. Now I probably have 8-10 left I spotted that I will hit today.
Wow… that’s a LOT of aiptasia. I thought I had a lot when I had about 10 that I could see. Now I can’t find any. The shrimp have done them in.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bothering me at all! I think they would be. I have 3 peppermint and 1 fire shrimp in the 40 gallon and they’re doing great together. Always hard to know if any one specimen will be the one that decides to go rogue but in all likelihood they should be okay together.
Alright, I will continue to look into it! Thanks for all the help! After all, are reef tanks are trying to recreate what's in the ocean, and corals die, and get eaten all the time.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… that’s a LOT of aiptasia. I thought I had a lot when I had about 10 that I could see. Now I can’t find any. The shrimp have done them in.
I just got to sit down and look at the tank. Looks like there's about 8 to 10 left and they're all small minus 1. It's the big one. The ones left are so small they won't be fun to kill but I'll get em. I would use peppermint shrimps for these tiny ones but my frickin royal gramma killed the last one.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

One of my rocks in my fish tank is infested with aptasia, so I am trying to remove it. I have a separate bowl of saltwater, with the rock inside. The aptasia won't come out, and I am sure any time I try to remove one, all of them will retract, and hide for a while. Got any ideas on how can get them to come out?
Just let them grow out - they're CUC :)

They haven't spread since I stopped annoying them.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one the size of a big bubble Tip that I had tried to kill other ways for about 3 months. It is now not happy and will hopefully be dead this evening after work. I'm a fan of Aptasia-X now.
Aiptasia X is just food grade caustic soda. You can DIY easily and just reuse the bottle and syringe.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. I was honestly concerned for @gbroadbridge when he said that... Sure hope he was joking.
Only half joking :)

They're a natural part of the reef ecosystem and they're filter feeders.
I leave them alone in my tank - a couple have grown pretty huge but they don't spread unless I provoke them by trying to kill them.

Let's just say we've made a deal, I leave them alone and they stick to one spot.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only half joking :)

They're a natural part of the reef ecosystem and they're filter feeders.
I leave them alone in my tank - a couple have grown pretty huge but they don't spread unless I provoke them by trying to kill them.

Let's just say we've made a deal, I leave them alone and they stick to one spot.
One day you may find that they have been quietly building tunnels in the live rock and when they fill them up they will swarm out from there hiding places and overrun the tank with millions of individuals.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day you may find that they have been quietly building tunnels in the live rock and when they fill them up they will swarm out from there hiding places and overrun the tank with millions of individuals.
Oh god. That sounds fun to deal with.

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Maybe I got off easy... but I just set up my 90g and got live rock from my LFS that had Aptasia on a few rocks. 5-10 that I could easily see.

I'm sure there were more. A week later, I added three peppermint shrimp, and within a week, all the Aptasia that I could see disappeared.

Attachments

• 20240211_174715.jpg
    20240211_174715.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240211_174723.jpg
    20240211_174723.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240217_123459.jpg
    20240217_123459.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240217_182719.jpg
    20240217_182719.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I got off easy... but I just set up my 90g and got live rock from my LFS that had Aptasia on a few rocks. 5-10 that I could easily see.

I'm sure there were more. A week later, I added three peppermint shrimp, and within a week, all the Aptasia that I could see disappeared.
I believe if you get real peppermint shrimp, this is the case for most people.

I just have one question for you, did you have any cleaner shrimp in the tank with them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back