How can I get my aptasia to come out?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

One of my rocks in my fish tank is infested with aptasia, so I am trying to remove it. I have a separate bowl of saltwater, with the rock inside. The aptasia won't come out, and I am sure any time I try to remove one, all of them will retract, and hide for a while. Got any ideas on how can get them to come out?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any luck with trying to get them to come out and play. I have injected them with muriatic acid and other "killer" solutions and they always come back. I am going to buy a Kleine butterfly later today because the tank that had a Kleine (who exited the world via powerhead) has had a resurgence of these infidels after the fish departed.

I have tried drying out the rocks outside, freshwater dips, and I have strong evidence that Aiptasia are immortals, but they can be controlled with predators.

I might suggest that you try microwaving the rock, something I have not done because it might cause the rock to fall apart from steam pressure?

animation no GIF by David Urbinati

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any luck with trying to get them to come out and play. I have injected them with muriatic acid and other "killer" solutions and they always come back. I am going to buy a Kleine butterfly later today because the tank that had a Kleine (who exited the world via powerhead) has had a resurgence of these infidels after the fish departed.

I have tried drying out the rocks outside, freshwater dips, and I have strong evidence that Aiptasia are immortals, but they can be controlled with predators.

I might suggest that you try microwaving the rock, something I have not done because it might cause the rock to fall apart from steam pressure?

Ugh, why do they have to be so difficult. I think I am going to try to inject salty lemon juice into them.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think that microwaving a rock would be a good idea. Microwaving is basically the same thing as boiling it.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great results with peppermint shrimp and covering them with superglue.
I have not been able to manually remove them. I am now leaning towards getting a pep, but my only worry is that they will eat my lps.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to manually remove them. I am now leaning towards getting a pep, but my only worry is that they will eat my lps.
I have lots of LPS and haven’t had any issues with them at all. I have a couple of them that will actually eat off the feeding tongs when I feed the tank.

F925B7BF-4DDE-467C-A8E7-CCA463B375E1.jpeg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of LPS and haven’t had any issues with them at all. I have a couple of them that will actually eat off the feeding tongs when I feed the tank.

F925B7BF-4DDE-467C-A8E7-CCA463B375E1.jpeg
Nice tank, can I also have a cleaner shrimp with it too? It's only a 15g tank, so its pretty small. Would U also just feed it with mysis shrimp?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, can I also have a cleaner shrimp with it too? It's only a 15g tank, so its pretty small. Would U also just feed it with mysis shrimp?
I have a fire shrimp with mine and it’s probably 5 times the size of the peppermints and haven’t had issues. Cleaner shrimp and peppermints are both pretty tame so I don’t think it would be a problem. I feed mine frozen mysis and brine. They love both.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fire shrimp with mine and it’s probably 5 times the size of the peppermints and haven’t had issues. Cleaner shrimp and peppermints are both pretty tame so I don’t think it would be a problem. I feed mine frozen mysis and brine. They love both.
Ok, thanks for the help. I will look into it because I am never going to be able to get rid of it. It would be cool to have 2 shrimp in my tank.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading that people have had bad experiences with mixing the 2, and some have had good. How big is your tank, and do you think I should worry about it?

Do you thinks it's possible that the person picked up a camel shrimp, and that's why They had problems?

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with peppermint shrimp. I kept having an issue with my aptasia and I would glue it and such but it kept coming back. I added in two peppermint shrimp and then never saw them again. A few months later I noticed my aptasia was gone and found one of the shrimp still!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back