Help

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had saltwater tanks for over 10 years. I have 2 right now. A 100 and a 30 Red Sea at my office. The 100 has been up and running for over 8 years. I do water changes and check my parameters but not on a regular schedule like I did in the beginning. Well I guess what I have now is what I have heard called a crash. About a week ago everything was doing fine. Then I saw some green algae forming on some of my rocks. I took a toothbrush and cleaned it off. Have done this many times before. The next morning everything was dying. I have checked all things I can and there is nothing out of normal range. Any ideas. I will post pic I took today
9e33f6b00c412a4a9573596b7648dcfa.jpg
IMG_5631.JPG
IMG_5631.JPG
. Any suggestions besides getting out of the hobby

OP
OP
Nothead59

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Alk 120
Ammonia o
Salinity 1.023

That's all the tests that I have. They are about a year old. This is from 6-16. Haven't bothered anymore [emoji30]

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough detail to diagnose. Start doing big water changes. It's the easiest way to get back on track. Assuming your new water isn't contaminated

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I changed 10 gallons the day after everything closed up
The reason why I asked is that I have seen instances where Chloramine has made it past an exhausted carbon block in an RODI unit causing exactly what you are experiencing.
Could be Chloromine in ATO water as well.
I also question your ALK numbers. Did you mean 12.0 as opposed to 120?
Either way, is that your normal ALK reading? I know some reefers run their systems that high, but I have also seen, and personally had happen, a mini crash from excessive ALK.

OP
OP
Nothead59

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. I thought it might have been my alk also and it was at 12. Took out everything today except a few rocks and did a 30 gallon water change. My nem is still alive and banded coral shrimp. Did not lose any fish so far. All snails died. My first crash in 10 years so I feel lucky. Except loss some corals I'd had 7 plus years. Sorry this is turning into a pity party. I am going to keep trying.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. I thought it might have been my alk also and it was at 12. Took out everything today except a few rocks and did a 30 gallon water change. My nem is still alive and banded coral shrimp. Did not lose any fish so far. All snails died. My first crash in 10 years so I feel lucky. Except loss some corals I'd had 7 plus years. Sorry this is turning into a pity party. I am going to keep trying.
Not a pity party at all. Reefers helping reefers.

No weird smells?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the grand assumption you do make your own RODI, I would strongly suggest looking into the Chloramine question. Many major municipality's are using Chloramine now as opposed to straight Chlorine because it takes longer to break down, and therefore sanitizes the water supply better for human consumption. BRS sells a carbon block designed specifically for water treated with Chloramine. In Anaheim where I live you can often smell it in the water from the tap. I have to run 2 blocks in sequence in my RO unit to get rid of it all.
Keep up the good fight, anyone who has been around this hobby long enough has gone through something like this.
Best of luck!!

Butitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove all dead snails or else water change wont help at all.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run GAC and some GFO on the tank ASAP, along with the water changes. As stated, check your water source. Do you have a cleaning company/staff clean your office? You know where I'm heading with that question, don't you?

OP
OP
Nothead59

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no one has a key to my office. I'm the cleaning crew. But my office tank is fine. Just the home tank crashed. Thanks. I will run GFO.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. GAC will also "soak" up the excess organic material from the die off. Best of luck to you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back