HELP!!!!!

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who want the quick version: moved tank, fish died, corals bleaching/not opening/dying. All params fine. Inverts doing fine. Help?

Long version: I'm currently staring at a tank of dying corals. I just moved houses yesterday, and moved the contents of my 20 gallon over to another new 20 gallon tank. I woke up this morning and found my clownfish dead unfortunately. I naturally proceeded to check my parameters and everything was fine accept ammonia, it was at about 1.0ppm. I assumed that combined with the stress of moving was the cause of death of my clown, which sucks. At this time none of my corals were open (frogspawn, hammer, zoas, kenya tree, gsp, mushrooms, etc). I did a 50% water change and tested my parameters again, and got ammonia down to 0ppm. I checked on my tank later and it looks like my frogspawn, hammers, and duncans are starting to deteriorate :( The tops of the heads appear to be bleaching and the retracted green tentacles seem to be turning into goo and floating away. My polyps still aren't open on my zoas and my xenia is just laying there limp. What do I do? Any suggestions? Ammonia is still at 0ppm, but I did another water change just in case. I don't to lose all of my corals, but I'm at a loss of what the cause could be. Also, my arrow crab and hermits seem to be just fine, foraging around and eating all day. I cut the lights on the tank for now to attempt to eliminate anymore stress. I've moved tanks before but have never had this happen, all advice is appreciated!

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you move sand? If so toxic tank syndrome.

Otherwise, caused by ammonia which 1.0 is all it takes btw. Even less will cause significant damage sometimes. Will take some time for things to recover.

I would continue 50 percent water changes every other day for a while or a coupe more and keep a close eye on parameters. Also make sure new salt mixes to similar alk out that can cause problems as well.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest another water change to be sure, and then add searcher prime to detoxify anything in the water.

I'd suggest against prime as there are corals in play. All it does is lower ph to make ammonia not as toxic. Inverts may not like that though. Idk.

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the sand too. Follow Triggreef's advice.

OP
OP
DanTer

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggreef, I did move some sand, but not much. Only surface sand in an attempt to avoid anything like this but I guess that was my issue. Should have known. When you say "remove it at this point," are you talking about the sand?

domination2580, doing another water change now and ill add some Seachem prime to the water, thank you.

OP
OP
DanTer

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an empty 5 gal bucket...good idea to make some new saltwater and throw my heater, a power head, live rock, and my livestock (inverts, corals) in there? Then take the time to clean out the tank. I'm just trying to avoid anymore losses at this point. My corals have really been taking off recently and seeing them dying like this in hours sucks.

OP
OP
DanTer

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks domination, in that case I'll use it just to see if it will help.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks domination, in that case I'll use it just to see if it will help.
Completely up to you sir. It feet well could be the sand... how much sand did it have send how much did you re use? Prime will help with the toxic levels even if it is the sand..

OP
OP
DanTer

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reused about 2-3 cups full, then added left over unused play sand which I cleaned beforehand. I just found a bucket that had live rock and tank water from the original tank. Checked the parameters and threw everything in there with a heater and powerhead, now hoping for the best.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reused about 2-3 cups full, then added left over unused play sand which I cleaned beforehand. I just found a bucket that had live rock and tank water from the original tank. Checked the parameters and threw everything in there with a heater and powerhead, now hoping for the best.
Unused play sand? How long was that bucket sitting?

OP
OP
DanTer

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies and help. Also have another question: If I wanted to clean out this tank and the equipment with the bad sand in it, would soaking everything in freshwater be enough? Or should I use vinegar/bleach. Don't want to do anything that will harm future livestock.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies and help. Also have another question: If I wanted to clean out this tank and the equipment with the bad sand in it, would soaking everything in freshwater be enough? Or should I use vinegar/bleach. Don't want to do anything that will harm future livestock.
I would bleach bath everything. Rinse it well after. Get new sand

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back