Help

Labmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the last week these “blackhead” like spots have shown up on my nephthera. Some of the spots have gone away and the holes closed up but some more have started appearing further up the coral. It’s been open and seems happy but this looks bad. I haven’t tried to brush it off because there are literal holes and it looks like the black is dead tissue. I just don’t want to make it worse. Does anyone have any experience with this/ knows what it is? Can I just give it a freshwater or iodine dip?

Thanks for the help!
a5413e213912c3546cfde23c909c13a3.jpg

OP
OP
L

Labmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not seen stuff like that except in coral warfare. I’d look at that coral at night and look for bad bugs.

#reefsqaud

I just don’t know where something like that would have come from. It’s been in my 28 JBJ cube for like 3 years and it’s been fine. I just recently finished the cycle on my 55g and moved everything over like 2 weeks ago. Nothing new has been added and nothing else is having issues. I don’t know how something like that could have been introduced.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t know where something like that would have come from. It’s been in my 28 JBJ cube for like 3 years and it’s been fine. I just recently finished the cycle on my 55g and moved everything over like 2 weeks ago. Nothing new has been added and nothing else is having issues. I don’t know how something like that could have been introduced.
Same.

Past that all I could figure is an acclimation prob.

What I did note is the sand stuck up on the base. Like somthing like a snail crawled up it.

OP
OP
L

Labmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same.

Past that all I could figure is an acclimation prob.

What I did note is the sand stuck up on the base. Like somthing like a snail crawled up it.

Could be a snail? I dunno, I could try to brush the sand off, I just wanted to avoid touching it. At first I thought it was shedding but now I doubt it so I guess I’ll need to try and clean it off.

As for an acclimation issue, do you think that would take almost 2 weeks to present itself?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a snail? I dunno, I could try to brush the sand off, I just wanted to avoid touching it. At first I thought it was shedding but now I doubt it so I guess I’ll need to try and clean it off.

As for an acclimation issue, do you think that would take almost 2 weeks to present itself?
Yea it could take that long

Let me tag again and not misspell it this time lol
#reefsquad.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm got me stumped. I'll be following to see what this is also.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ewwwweee...
I would myself iodine dip and clean off all that i could. And put the coral on a rock outta the sand and make sure its got decent flow.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this won't help you but I had the same thing happen to my White Spaghetti Leather Coral (Sinularia flexibis). It had been in the tank for 4 months and was growing quickly. Then suddenly those holes showed up. Despite a coral dip and iodine dip I ended up losing it. I too would like to know the cause.

OP
OP
L

Labmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the coral surprisingly made it. I iodine dipped it, cut off three segments without the black spots and put it back in the tank. The entire outside skin shead off and after a month of it looking very poor, it turned the corner about a week ago. Makes me wish I never cut it up but at least I now have 3 new ones haha

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that your coral is doing well now. And hopefully we all learned something.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back