Help

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green chromis have layed eggs and now I have fry in my sump . I have very porus man made live rook in my sump . With a algea turf scubber in it also. Fry are very small but fast . I have green algea on the rocks in the sump. Will the fry be ok in there?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My green chromis have layed eggs and now I have fry in my sump . I have very porus man made live rook in my sump . With a algea turf scubber in it also. Fry are very small but fast . I have green algea on the rocks in the sump. Will the fry be ok in there?
Fry ok as long as they do not reach the return pump or any pumps. Congrats
For food, fresh or frozen bby brine shrimp as well as live or frozen rotifiers.If possible, shut down pumps and net them into a starter aquarium with a sponge or two sponge filters until they grow in size

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fry ok as long as they do not reach the return pump or any pumps. Congrats
For food, fresh or frozen bby brine shrimp as well as live or frozen rotifiers.If possible, shut down pumps and net them into a starter aquarium with a sponge or two sponge filters until they grow in size
There is a spunge filter stopping them from getting to the pump chamber. Could they live off of the pods that are in there. I am worried about the 18 hours of light my sump gets . There is alot of rock in my sump . I would have to take it all out to net them . They are about 3/16 of a inch now. And no clue how many.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is a spunge filter stopping them from getting to the pump chamber. Could they live off of the pods that are in there. I am worried about the 18 hours of light my sump gets . There is alot of rock in my sump . I would have to take it all out to net them . They are about 3/16 of a inch now. And no clue how many.
Good on sponge. That’s a bit of hours of light but dry do best with long periods of light. Blue will work with less impact with algae

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your Green Chromis are Chromis viridis, you'll need some very specialized (tiny), live pods to rear the fry:
These guys were reported to be extremely picky with foods, but they were eventually reared on Oithona colcarva nauplii as a first food. They ran into bottlenecks after days 10 and 15, so they needed some larger pods as well. The smallest pods that I'm aware of that are readily available on the market currently are Parvocalanus crassirostris, and they range in size from being equal to the largest specimens of adult Oithona colcarva to being about twice that size. There's no guarantee the fry would go for the Parvo pod nauplii, but they'd probably be your best bet, as I can't find anywhere that actually sells Oithona cultures.

Back