Help

korted842

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an Atlantic pigmy octopus about a month ago all was well. Within the last week or so he has rejected all food. Today he was out on the glass which was a little worrying as he is nocturnal. I also noticed there is a few chunks missing from his tentacles.
He is currently housed in a 10 gallon aio system that has been up for roughly 3 months before the octopus was introduced. I’m pulling water from my established established reef and doing water changes weekly.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gal is a little small for him for him for one. do you have anything in there with him? pics would help as well.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Octopus are highly intelligent creatures that require large established tanks, stimulation because they get bored easily, an experienced aquarist, and really shouldn’t be kept in captivity because of this. He’s most likely very stressed out/unhappy and turning to self-mutilation. I’d recommend finding a new home for him like a public aquarium or fish store with a large established tank especially since the tank he’s in is very young and very small for such a delicate and intelligent creature.

Last edited:

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gal is a little small for him for him for one. do you have anything in there with him? pics would help as well.
I know very little about octopuses but I know when they are pregnant they also refuse to eat and die after giving birth

OP
OP
K

korted842

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info got him back to the lfs. Cool to look at hard to have.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above and from the reading I've done, the reality is they have very short lifespans even if everything is perfect and worse, once the males and females have mated they die shortly after so depending on how old it is or if it has bred it might already be near the end of its life. So tragic for such an incredibly smart, sensitive creature. They should live to be decades and decades old.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got an Atlantic pigmy octopus about a month ago all was well. Within the last week or so he has rejected all food. Today he was out on the glass which was a little worrying as he is nocturnal. I also noticed there is a few chunks missing from his tentacles.
He is currently housed in a 10 gallon aio system that has been up for roughly 3 months before the octopus was introduced. I’m pulling water from my established established reef and doing water changes weekly.
Im not too worried about the tank size as I am with Tank Age as they do not fare well with a less than mature system and yours is subject to spikes and chemistry changes yet at 3 months. Less than perfect water will take this specimen down which may be happening now.
Also rule 101 with octopus is very tight fit cover as they can and will escape even with a cover. They also need good hiding within small clay pots or shell from a clam and Food. . . . and speaking of clam, they eat chopped clam, snails and other crustaceans like shrimp.
Pics under white lighting would be helpful with assessment.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back