HELP

Troy-Head1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home and my kole tang was dead and now my fish are all acting very weird what do I do

OP
OP
Troy-Head1

Troy-Head1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home and my kole tang was dead and now my fish are all acting very weird what do I do
All my levels are perfect and I have been using metro plex in there food because I thought one of them had ich but nothing crazy and now I come home to this

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my levels are perfect and I have been using metro plex in there food because I thought one of them had ich but nothing crazy and now I come home to this
When you say 'perfect'... what numbers come to mind?

When you say 'Acting Weird'... is one of them holding a knife behind their back?

Don't worry, I'm taking this seriously, and we'll go through it step by step, you mention you thought one of the fish had Ich, We should probably be specific about what brought you to this conclusion, did you see white spots, flashing, a fish rubbing against the rocks?

The Kole is dead, do you have pictures from before, or as morbid as it is, after? This will help one of the fish medics diagnose any potential disease.

Which fish are remaining, are there any aggressive or territorial fish in the tank?

How large is the tank, and do you have a treatment or hospital tank that can get you through a fallow period?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Test ammonia and nitrate then do a water change
If the behavior is lethargic, yawning or quick darting and heavy breathing- May be flukes.
If scratching, swimming in front of powerheads or water surface, may be velvet

Wont be able to make determination with dead fish which is best under microscope but symptoms often offer a lead.
Pics and video under white lighting always helpful with assessment

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought would be ammonia. An anti-biotic in the tank could destabilize beneficial bacteria if the tank is not well established and oxygenation is not adequate.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down and assess, remove kole tang and evaluate for level of decomposition. If it recently died, there wouldn't be a spike of ammonia in the system. If you haven't dosed anything and you dont expect any tampering (like children putting things where they shouldn't be), now look at all the systems you have in place. Returns, skimmer, heaters, media, etc. If they're all looking good and you can confirm there is no short in your system, test water and correct or outright do a water change.

OP
OP
Troy-Head1

Troy-Head1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say 'perfect'... what numbers come to mind?

When you say 'Acting Weird'... is one of them holding a knife behind their back?

Don't worry, I'm taking this seriously, and we'll go through it step by step, you mention you thought one of the fish had Ich, We should probably be specific about what brought you to this conclusion, did you see white spots, flashing, a fish rubbing against the rocks?

The Kole is dead, do you have pictures from before, or as morbid as it is, after? This will help one of the fish medics diagnose any potential disease.

Which fish are remaining, are there any aggressive or territorial fish in the tank?

How large is the tank, and do you have a treatment or hospital tank that can get you through a fallow period?
Everyone made it through the night even the kole tang. I thought it was dead but the more i started looking it was breathing and stared to swim. I turned off all the lights and took a deep breath tested my tank once more Ph 8.2 Ammonia 0.25 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20.
the ammonia isn't perfect i was kind of freaking out last night so I wasn't very clear on my post. its a 180 gallon tank my sailfin looked to have ich white spots so i started using Metroplex about 4 days ago putting it in there food.

OP
OP
Troy-Head1

Troy-Head1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test ammonia and nitrate then do a water change
If the behavior is lethargic, yawning or quick darting and heavy breathing- May be flukes.
If scratching, swimming in front of powerheads or water surface, may be velvet

Wont be able to make determination with dead fish which is best under microscope but symptoms often offer a lead.
Pics and video under white lighting always helpful with assessment
Everyone made it through the night even the kole tang. I thought it was dead but the more i started looking it was breathing and stared to swim. I turned off all the lights and took a deep breath tested my tank once more Ph 8.2 Ammonia 0.25 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20.
the ammonia isn't perfect i was kind of freaking out last night so I wasn't very clear on my post. its a 180 gallon tank my sailfin looked to have ich white spots so i started using Metroplex about 4 days ago putting it in there food.

OP
OP
Troy-Head1

Troy-Head1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down and assess, remove kole tang and evaluate for level of decomposition. If it recently died, there wouldn't be a spike of ammonia in the system. If you haven't dosed anything and you dont expect any tampering (like children putting things where they shouldn't be), now look at all the systems you have in place. Returns, skimmer, heaters, media, etc. If they're all looking good and you can confirm there is no short in your system, test water and correct or outright do a water change.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How many ich spots did the sailfin have? Metroplex in the food is not effective against ich - oral medication for an external disease is one issue, but the other is that nobody gets the dose right unless they calculate it with a gram scale (it needs to be 0.50 ppm metro by weight in the food, with a gel binder).

Are there invertebrates in the tank? Are they all o.k.? If so, you can rule out water quality issues.
Are the fish breathing rapidly?
How are the fish acting weird?

Jay

OP
OP
Troy-Head1

Troy-Head1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many ich spots did the sailfin have? Metroplex in the food is not effective against ich - oral medication for an external disease is one issue, but the other is that nobody gets the dose right unless they calculate it with a gram scale (it needs to be 0.50 ppm metro by weight in the food, with a gel binder).

Are there invertebrates in the tank? Are they all o.k.? If so, you can rule out water quality issues.
Are the fish breathing rapidly?
How are the fish acting weird?

Jay
A good amount of ich spots I'm not sure exactly how many. All inverts are fine should i dose the tank with cupramine the kole tang is complete covered

OP
OP
Troy-Head1

Troy-Head1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good amount of ich spots I'm not sure exactly how many. All inverts are fine should i dose the tank with cupramine the kole tang is complete covered
Everyone seems to be breathing fine I'm leaving my lights off right now to not stress them out

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is tough - it sounds like your fish have an advanced case of marine ich. You cannot dose Cupramine in a tank with invertebrates. You would need to move all of the fish to another tank, treat with copper there (coppersafe is my choice) and then keep them out of your main tank for 60+ days to let the ich in there die out from lack of a host. Also, once fish loss has begun in an ich infection, it is really difficult to stop things in time to prevent further losses......

Can you post pictures and a short video of the fish taken under white light so I can confirm the diagnosis?

Jay

OP
OP
Troy-Head1

Troy-Head1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough - it sounds like your fish have an advanced case of marine ich. You cannot dose Cupramine in a tank with invertebrates. You would need to move all of the fish to another tank, treat with copper there (coppersafe is my choice) and then keep them out of your main tank for 60+ days to let the ich in there die out from lack of a host. Also, once fish loss has begun in an ich infection, it is really difficult to stop things in time to prevent further losses......

Can you post pictures and a short video of the fish taken under white light so I can confirm the diagnosis?

Jay
I have a couple crabs and a couple snails I'm not to worried about them if they die and i don't have a tank big enough for my unicorn tang so does the tank with cupramine is my only option right now how do I need to go about doing that properly

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back