heranatomy's noob tank

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm new to saltwater tanks/reefing.

Here's my very 1st tank. I wanted seahorses. There's a lot of things I would've done differently with the knowledge I have now. Eventually, I will upgrade this tank, but since dabbling into saltwater, I've discovered corals!!!

So, here is my noob 1st tank =D

Tank Specs

Display: 20 gallon high
Lighting: Fluorescents that came with the stock hood. (D'oh!)
Filtration: HOB Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 (D'oh! X2)
Circulation: None. Just the return from the HOB filter. =(

Fish

- 2 H.Erectus Seahorses
- 2 Dragonface Pipefish
- Yellow watchman goby
- 1 Peppermint Shrimp
- Misc. CUC

Corals

- Yellow gorgonian
- Orange Sponge
Other:

-Misc. macroalgae

Now, obviously this needs some upgrades. Originally, I had wanted seahorses, and researched the heck out of them. I wanted to make sure that I would be successful in keeping them. So, I went the cheapest route possible, in case I failed. Well, I succeeded =D Thus, leading me into corals. I also have a 20 L where I've begun collecting corals (originally a separate tank for a BTA and clownfish). I need to upgrade my seahorse tank, but corals are so addicting that I've recently purchased my 20L coral tank's upgrade 1st =D

One thing I regret is how I didn't utilize the space in the middle of the tank and up. However, despite popular belief I do NOT regret the misc. Calupera! I LOVE IT!! (Love it in my seahorse tank only, lol).

Okay, okay. Onto the pictures:
P1030018.JPG

P1030019.JPG

P1020622.JPG

P1020714.JPG

P1020757.JPG

P1020942.JPG

P1020944.JPG

Thanks for looking =D

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice:bigsmile:You should upgrade to a sump and a better light. What corals do you have so far?

Last edited:
OP
OP
heranatomy

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice:bigsmile:You should upgrade to a sump and a better light. What corals do you have so far?

In my 20 L I'm only doing soft corals. I don't have the flow/lighting I want. All that comes with the upgrade =D Just picked up a 58 gallon today. I'll be using my current 20L as the sump/refugium and I have MH's coming for the coral tank. As for the 20H seahorse tank...it will have to wait until the other tank upgrade XD
But, so far I have zoas, a mini carpet anemone, bta, pulsing xenia, gsp (that wont open =((( just got it yesterday though) and a ricordea. Oh, and an unidentified coral. It had really small polyps but not mat/"crust". Grows straight out of the rock. Very small pieces. I'm waiting until it opens up more to get a clear picture, then hopefully an ID =D

But, if you're impatient... here it is partially open (or closed...glass half full/empty?!?!?!?):

P1030016.JPG

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good start!! Be carefull with the xenia and GSP it can over take your tank. I just took mine down because of that. But so far looks like a good start. Let me know when your ready I will send you a nice chalices to start your addiction. You will love it!

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
I kind of want to do a column tank myself and stack up the rocks real high.

OP
OP
heranatomy

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good start!! Be carefull with the xenia and GSP it can over take your tank. I just took mine down because of that. But so far looks like a good start. Let me know when your ready I will send you a nice chalices to start your addiction. You will love it!

Hahah, that's what I keep reading about GSP and Xenia...but I do like the look of both. We'll see =D

I appreciate you pushing my addiction! Hahah, I'll let you know when I upgrade. Won't be for a few months. Slowly gathering much needed items. If there's one thing I've learned from my seahorse tank...don't skimp on the equipment!

OP
OP
heranatomy

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
I kind of want to do a column tank myself and stack up the rocks real high.

I should've done that. I didn't want to/know how to glue the rock work together, and now I know. I don't want to change the tank now when I'm gonna get a bigger one anyway hahaha.

I think it would look really good though =D

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Seahorse tanks are so relaxing.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R... :)

good luck with the upgrade... and congrats with your 1st SW tank with the seahorses... :)

there's lotsa helpful people here on R2R so don't hesitate to ask Q's...

cay85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been wanting to do a seahorse tank. i have a horse, i would like to show her a seahorse and see what she does,LOL ok time for bed!
i like the dragon face, very cool!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice Tank and welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
heranatomy

heranatomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like a great start :)

Thanks. I hate it lol. My first tank. Oh well. I WAS in the processes of upgrading my other 20 L into a reef tank buuuuut I kinda quit my job so it's halted. All I need are the baffles for the sump and the pvc plumbing!!!!:cry:

sucksss.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back