Herbie Emergency Drain Noise

  • Thread starter Thread starter SloppyJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SloppyJ

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
784
Reaction score
10
Location
NW Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my tank set up and I did a leak test last night. Everything went fine but the emergency made some noise. It had a slow trickle going down it. I chamfered the interiror edges with a small jewelers file. Maybe I didn't do it enough. Here's my setup. Any help is appreciated. The cut isn't exactly 90 degrees but it's pretty close.
 
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398710961.016668.jpg


ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398710969.984479.jpg
 
Tune the gate valve so less water goes down the emergency. No?
 
Tune the gate valve so less water goes down the emergency. No?

Yep - the emergency should have almost no water, if any, going down it - it should make absolutely no noise. I have mine set so the water level is about 1/8" below the emergency (my emergency is dry) and it takes about a week of my filter sock clogging up to create enough back pressure to move the water level in the overflow high enough to reach the emergency.

The emergency is just that- an emergency and should have no meaningful amount of water in it and you can run it with no water in it if you want.
 
Yep, you need to open the valve for the main drain pipe a little more. Like the poster above, my goal is to have the water in the overflow column be about 1/8" inch below the emergency pipe.

Before I got an ATO and I was topping of manually sometimes I would have a trickle right after I added water. After a little water evaporated the trickle would stop.

Don't give up on the Herbie. You will love it after you get it fine tuned. Remember that any adjustment you make will take at least a couple of hours to really equalize, so make tiny adjustments and wait a while for the true results before adjusting again.
 
I got it fine tuned last night and let it run all night.Seems to have settled in. The article I read that got me interested in the herbie said to run a trickle down the emergency but I think I'm going to leave it dry.
 
If you run a trickle you will probably find that algae will grow down into the pipe. That was the case with my tank anyway. I believe it is called filamentous algae.
 
I have a top for my overflow so I doubt it would get any light, but yes, I can see where it could be a problem.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new