Herbie Overflow for Rubbermaid Stock Tank

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on setting up a 50g Rubbermaid stock tank as a frag tank. It's going to be plumbed to my main sump. I wantto set up a Herbie-style overflow so that it's basically silent, but I'm having a hard time making it work. I bought a Fiji Cube overflow, thinking the measurements would work out. Unfortunately because of how large and curved the lip of the stock tank is, I can't make it work without completely cutting the lip off and cutting down into the tank itself. I'm not opposed to cutting the tank a bit, but cutting down the inside of the tank risks leaking water because of how I'd have to cut to make it work.

If I used a HOB overflow box with two drains, I could still do a Herbie by making one the restricted drain and one the wide open drain. It would look ugly and I don't really want to put an external overflow on this system, but it would solve my problem.

Another option is just drilling two drain bulkheads into the back of the tank, but I think I'd have trouble getting a Herbie to work. I could put one drain about 0.5 - 1" higher than the other, but that's about all I can do since the tank is curved toward the top. The problem is most guides recommend 6" of difference between the restricted drain and main drain, so I don't think this would really work as Herbie drain.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. I just basically want the tank to be completely silent and have an emergency drain.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just drill two holes for a 1” drain on the back wall and put a screen over it and not use a overflow box. That’s what I will be doing with my 100 gallon Rubbermaid. Currently running this setup on my frag tank and works very well.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just drill two holes for a 1” drain on the back wall and put a screen over it and not use a overflow box. That’s what I will be doing with my 100 gallon Rubbermaid. Currently running this setup on my frag tank and works very well.

See I was thinking about that, but I was concerned about noise. I already have one tank with just a single drain and it's so noisy. Drilling two bulkhead drains would work, I just don't know how noisy it would be.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I was thinking about that, but I was concerned about noise. I already have one tank with just a single drain and it's so noisy. Drilling two bulkhead drains would work, I just don't know how noisy it would be.
It’s pretty quiet it’s actually quieter than my DT tank. And super easy to do.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty quiet it’s actually quieter than my DT tank. And super easy to do.

Thanks, would you be able to share any pictures? Do you have a valve on one of the drains to make it a full siphon?

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this old video from BRS. They show something similar I think to what WIReefer mentioned. Not a true Herbie, but it's probably reasonably quiet. And cheap. After ruining one Rubbermaid tank and paying a restocking fee for the Fiji Cube overflow, this will actually put me around my original intended budget.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, would you be able to share any pictures? Do you have a valve on one of the drains to make it a full siphon?
I’m sorry I just saw this! I will find some pictures!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this old video from BRS. They show something similar I think to what WIReefer mentioned. Not a true Herbie, but it's probably reasonably quiet. And cheap. After ruining one Rubbermaid tank and paying a restocking fee for the Fiji Cube overflow, this will actually put me around my original intended budget.

Yup I watched this video a while back and basically went from this idea.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I watched this video a while back and basically went from this idea.

Thanks, I probably wouldn't have found this without your input. You mentioning the two bulkheads is what got me searching for the right thing.

I think I'm going to go this route. I can pick up another Rubbermaid today and already have all the bulkheads to make this work.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I probably wouldn't have found this without your input. You mentioning the two bulkheads is what got me searching for the right thing.

I think I'm going to go this route. I can pick up another Rubbermaid today and already have all the bulkheads to make this work.
Awesome glad I could kind of help! It really is a quit system best of luck!

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new Rubbermaid today and wondering where would be the best place to drill it. I think I would like to drill it on the bottom so I can adjust the water level by cutting the PVC pipe shorter. I'm having trouble figuring out where to place the bulkhead though. The bottom of the tank is not remotely flat, and it's not very flexible either. I'm concerned that the bulkheads will not be strong enough to bend the material to make a flat seal. The only area I can find that might work is the red spots below. The gray lines are the structural support. These two red spots are really the only place I can find far enough away from the support that it actually has a little bend to it.

IMG_20200920_152526.jpg

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday morning bump. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on setting up a 50g Rubbermaid stock tank as a frag tank. It's going to be plumbed to my main sump. I wantto set up a Herbie-style overflow so that it's basically silent, but I'm having a hard time making it work. I bought a Fiji Cube overflow, thinking the measurements would work out. Unfortunately because of how large and curved the lip of the stock tank is, I can't make it work without completely cutting the lip off and cutting down into the tank itself. I'm not opposed to cutting the tank a bit, but cutting down the inside of the tank risks leaking water because of how I'd have to cut to make it work.

If I used a HOB overflow box with two drains, I could still do a Herbie by making one the restricted drain and one the wide open drain. It would look ugly and I don't really want to put an external overflow on this system, but it would solve my problem.

Another option is just drilling two drain bulkheads into the back of the tank, but I think I'd have trouble getting a Herbie to work. I could put one drain about 0.5 - 1" higher than the other, but that's about all I can do since the tank is curved toward the top. The problem is most guides recommend 6" of difference between the restricted drain and main drain, so I don't think this would really work as Herbie drain.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. I just basically want the tank to be completely silent and have an emergency drain.
Well if your looking for a hob overflow I have one for sale in the marketplace https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marine-depot-of-1200-hob-overflow.753684/

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I don't know if I really want to do a HOB overflow for this tank, but I might be interested in something like this for my 40g breeder. PMed.

Could you use this area of the wall instead and setup something similar to what the original Bean Animal was and just extend the vertical pipes past the edge? Excuse my poor drawing...

Screenshot_20200921-073333_Samsung capture.jpg

Or even use the Fiji Cube overflow but use dual bulkheads between the inner box and the outer box to extend it past the lip so it doesn't interfere and you don't need to cut anything?
Screenshot_20200921-073838_Samsung Notes.jpg

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're using one of these 50gal as a remote refugium. I put four holes in the sides & if I were to do it again, I would absolutely use a standpipe design. I found Uniseal to be a much better selection than the traditional bulkhead.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you use this area of the wall instead and setup something similar to what the original Bean Animal was and just extend the vertical pipes past the edge? Excuse my poor drawing...

Screenshot_20200921-073333_Samsung capture.jpg

Or even use the Fiji Cube overflow but use dual bulkheads between the inner box and the outer box to extend it past the lip so it doesn't interfere and you don't need to cut anything?
Screenshot_20200921-073838_Samsung Notes.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about putting the bulkheads in the orange area, but it's not perfectly flat and I'd be worried about them not creating a seal. That part of the tank is really rigid. I could probably fit one there and put the other one somewhere else.

The dual bulkhead idea for the Fiji Cube is very interesting. I hadn't considered that, but it would solve basically all the problems I'm having. I'll have to see what kind of bulkhead it has and if it's a standard size. Thanks for the thought!

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're using one of these 50gal as a remote refugium. I put four holes in the sides & if I were to do it again, I would absolutely use a standpipe design. I found Uniseal to be a much better selection than the traditional bulkhead.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. Did you use bulkheads for yours? If so would you be able to share a picture of how it's drilled?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about putting the bulkheads in the orange area, but it's not perfectly flat and I'd be worried about them not creating a seal. That part of the tank is really rigid. I could probably fit one there and put the other one somewhere else.

The dual bulkhead idea for the Fiji Cube is very interesting. I hadn't considered that, but it would solve basically all the problems I'm having. I'll have to see what kind of bulkhead it has and if it's a standard size. Thanks for the thought!

Any time, you could also use a thicker rubber gasket (purchased in sheets) and use that in-between the two overflow boxes on the thinner walls. It does look like a VERY tricky tank to plumb so I hope that you do find something that works :)

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time, you could also use a thicker rubber gasket (purchased in sheets) and use that in-between the two overflow boxes on the thinner walls. It does look like a VERY tricky tank to plumb so I hope that you do find something that works :)

Thanks, yeah I'm seeing this is a lot more difficult than I originally thought it would be. At this point I don't know what I'm going to do. The double bulkhead idea is a strong contender for sure. I'd prefer a standpipe since it's cheaper and I've already ruined one Rubbermaid lol, but I'm going to consider all options.

I'm also going to reach out and see if any LFS can order me a frag tank. They've historically not been very helpful on this, but at this point I might be willing to spend some extra cash and time to avoid the headache of ruining another stock tank and wasting even more time.

Still considering other options as well. If anyone has drilled standpipes into these before I'd love to hear your feedback and see pictures.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back