Herbie overflow.......out of patience

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why you indicate that there must "be a slight trickle going down the Emergency Drain". I run a pair of Herbie's in my overflows and gate valves allow me to easily tune the flow to where I have a full siphon on both main drainpipes but zero water going down either of the emergency drainpipes. After a water change, I may have to slightly tweak a gate valve, but that's to be expected. I love the Herbie design...full siphon, zero sound and emergency preparedness!
Post in thread 'To trickle or not to trickle?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/to-trickle-or-not-to-trickle.695617/post-7454331

It will never be perfect so I don't try. Now I don't mess with it at all.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post in thread 'To trickle or not to trickle?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/to-trickle-or-not-to-trickle.695617/post-7454331

It will never be perfect so I don't try. Now I don't mess with it at all.
OK, it seems like the reason for recommending having a trickle flow down a Herbie 'emergency' pipe is to handle water level fluctuations, in order to not have to constantly adjust the gate valve(s). I guess if a person is having that problem, it could make sense. As, I've never had to adjust my gate valves, other than a minor tweak occasionally after a water change, there is no benefit in my situation to having any water flowing down an 'emergency' pipe, so I don't.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm bringing this back.
since this discussion, the overflow/ drain / return lines have pretty much been quiet, and I haven't had any major issues. From time to time, it'll make some noises, but nothing crazy or concerning.

for some reason every so often, between 8-10pm, the overflow will drop 2-3" and itll be all crazy loud. This will continue on for a little while, sometimes a long while, but then the overflow will eventually come back to normal level and all will be quiet again. I am learning to not adjust the gate valves, and just let it run it's course. once I adjust the valves, It messes the whole flow up and I'm having to start over again. So I refuse to touch it :)

what causes this major change in water flow? My tank I'd still cycling, I haven't added or changed anything. Especially during these loud flow times. Very random.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect food caught in valves/pump after feedings. Then it clears out.

Mine does this as well, only thing I can link it to.

Maybe surface tension? Idk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back