sounds of a running faucet

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my system is running through it's leak test at the moment. Finally got the gate valves dialed in to where the overflow is quiet. that took awhile.
once i got passed that, i am now struggling with how to quiet the gate valves down. It literally sounds like a faucet running. It's definitely coming from the gate valve. I have decreased / increased flow, and I can't get it to stop. It's up here in my living room, so it's quite noisy.

I did consider making a "bubble" type enclosure that I could seal it off with, but I am not sure if that will do anything. Figured it's worth a shot. Velcro this enclosure in place and be done. That way I can remove it if I need to adjust the valves.

Not sure what to do though. How on earth can I fix this issue?

Here is where the noise is coming from (it's definitely the return pump line (center)

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i continued to play with the gate valves, and i was able to quiet it down some. i don't have much turning room left without closing the return gate valve completely. it's a lot quieter, but i still here that faint high pitched whistle / water faucet. I think I will drain the tank and proceed with doing rock work and sand. I'll continue to fine tune the valves once the salt water is in place.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i continued to play with the gate valves, and i was able to quiet it down some. i don't have much turning room left without closing the return gate valve completely. it's a lot quieter, but i still here that faint high pitched whistle / water faucet. I think I will drain the tank and proceed with doing rock work and sand. I'll continue to fine tune the valves once the salt water is in place.
This would lead me to Believe you need more flow and open it some more..

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“usually” The less air/void space in the system the quieter … Eliminating air or void IME is the key (usually)
I’m not familiar enough with your design but that’s how I approach plumbing noise:
Optionally crank down the valves to slow flow; create back pressure /less void
Another option is to terminate the flow underwater to create back pressure
…I’m no expert here …

Last edited:

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to be clear, we are still talking about drains and not a return?
What I mean is do you have a gate valve on your return?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my system is running through it's leak test at the moment. Finally got the gate valves dialed in to where the overflow is quiet. that took awhile.
once i got passed that, i am now struggling with how to quiet the gate valves down. It literally sounds like a faucet running. It's definitely coming from the gate valve. I have decreased / increased flow, and I can't get it to stop. It's up here in my living room, so it's quite noisy.

I did consider making a "bubble" type enclosure that I could seal it off with, but I am not sure if that will do anything. Figured it's worth a shot. Velcro this enclosure in place and be done. That way I can remove it if I need to adjust the valves.

Not sure what to do though. How on earth can I fix this issue?

Here is where the noise is coming from (it's definitely the return pump line (center)

Looks like you have a basement sump.

1) is the outlet an inch or so underwater?
The pipe needs to be void of air. The outlet underwater will eventually Purge the air.

2) if that doesn't work... Move the gate valve to the basement.
You can still tune the line. Just go slower and look for micro-bubbles coming out the open channel, which also should be underwater.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the outlet of the drain pipe is a good inch or so under water. at first this was girgling and had a lot of air, causing the pipe to bounce around. once i added a little bit of length, everything calmed down at this location and it is silent.

my return line gate valve is where the noise is...not the drain line.

i am not hearing girgling or air at all. it's the flow of water from the return pump. it sounds like a running faucet.

sounds like i need to be a little more patient and continue to adjust the gate valves till i can minimize that sound.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the outlet of the drain pipe is a good inch or so under water. at first this was girgling and had a lot of air, causing the pipe to bounce around. once i added a little bit of length, everything calmed down at this location and it is silent.

my return line gate valve is where the noise is...not the drain line.

i am not hearing girgling or air at all. it's the flow of water from the return pump. it sounds like a running faucet.

sounds like i need to be a little more patient and continue to adjust the gate valves till i can minimize that sound.
Oh, it's the return.
To much flow to just keep them open?
AC pump?
Valve near the pump to keep the noise down there?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be wide open and you should be controlling the flow with the DC pump speed, not valving it back. That (well both) valve should be at the sump, not at the tank.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlling with my DC pump speed??? Um, is there a setting on the pump I'm not aware of?
Ahh you don't have a DC pump. You have an fixed speed AC pump.

Can the overflow not handle the full output of the pump?

In any case, that valve needs to be in the basement near the pump. Move the noise there and away from the living room.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move both valves to the sump area. (or leave them open and add valves in sump area) You problems will be solved.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back