Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed they started to come back last night. I did another treatment tonight in hopes of taking out the last few stragglers.
Second treatment did not good. Digitate hydroids were back within a week. About to the point of just starting the tank over.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this med affect kill enenomes/ RBTA?????? I seen several people ask but seems to go ignored. Sorry if I missed it but 29 pages here is a long read

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it does not.
I had rbts in my tank during treatment and it had no effect on them,
It will kill turbo snails
Thank you so much. I am in fallow period so will try but have 4 RBTAS and will remove snails and GSP. don’t have much else to worry about based on what I read

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can give me a quick answer as i am bad at math and a little confused finding it in this string but i am sure it is in here. I have approximately 140 gallon system and i just bought the fish bendazole on Amazon. If I dilute the whole packet in a solution, how much of this should i dose to my tank???? need to kill these digitate hydroids. thank you

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got 250mg of Fenbendazole. I have a 88 liter reef system how much is recommended to be use in milliliters to eliminate blue clove polyps.

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. I have that same thing on the way for evaluation and testing :)

Could you please let me know what calculations you use 1: the amount of Fish Bendazole (Fenbendazole) to use per gallon 2: the amount of water to mix the Fenbendazole into. 3: the amount of mixed solution to add to a reef system.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please let me know what calculations you use 1: the amount of Fish Bendazole (Fenbendazole) to use per gallon 2: the amount of water to mix the Fenbendazole into. 3: the amount of mixed solution to add to a reef system.
This is how I did it. I mixed the whole packet with 250 ml of RODI water. I then dosed 1.5 ml of solution per gallon. Approximately. And threw away rest. This gave me 1mg per 1ml to easily calculate. For example I have 135 gal total column so I added approximately 200 ml of solution I did not worry about exacts because if you read this thread people experimented with different doses. I did this and had no loses. Of snails and wiped out digitate hydroids as well as my gsp I could not get out

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I did it. I mixed the whole packet with 250 ml of RODI water. I then dosed 1.5 ml of solution per gallon. Approximately. And threw away rest. This gave me 1mg per 1ml to easily calculate. For example I have 135 gal total column so I added approximately 200 ml of solution I did not worry about exacts because if you read this thread people experimented with different doses. I did this and had no loses. Of snails and wiped out digitate hydroids as well as my gsp I could not get out
Thanks for the details. Did this solution work for the elimination of Blue Clove Polyps as well?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the details. Did this solution work for the elimination of Blue Clove Polyps as well?
Did not have blue clove polyps so no experience there but I have to believe that it would kill them since killed my green star polyps. Again, just my guess as I did this for digitate hydroids. Best of luck to you

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had zero luck with bumblebees for both vermetids and branching hydroids. Apparently you need to go through and break the tubes, exposing the snail for the bumblebees to work. Oh and I also tried a blue coral banded shrimp that hasn't touched the hydroids.

Just wanted to share a recent experience with dips. I believe the recommendation was 5 minutes at 4x the normal dose. I went up to 8x and 30 minutes with no effect. I even target fed the hydroids with fenbendazole, also to no avail. Not sure what to think about this. They weren't closing up around the powder so I assume they weren't ingesting it. I was careful to not squirt too hard so they'd stay open to feed. Do they just need more time? Maybe mixing the fenbendazole with reef roids would make them more likely to ingest it.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated tank with three bubble tip anemones and they were completely unaffected so assume it will not be a problem

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rose BTA was also fine with the treatment, but I lost all of my gorgonians and removed my starfish and snails prior to treatment as I was told it would affect them.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i lost my turbo snails but nerite and others were fine. Also, be aware I did remove some green star polyp corals as people warned, however, even when I tried to put back in several weeks after they still perished this was even after big water change and aggressive carbon

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to pull the trigger and try this treatment. I’m sure they’ve been there for a while but the population has really exploded in the last month or so. I was having trouble with SPS dying and realized that the hydroids were growing up the skeletons as the coral was dying! Since I started looking I’ve got them growing all over the place. I get the fenbendizole tomorrow and plan to start trying to get as many a stream snails out as I can. I have 3 tanks plumbed together for a total of around 200 gallons.

I saw the Hydroxs stuff and figured it was fenbendizole which was confirmed there. I saw on reefcentral where someone got it and they recommended treating 4 times every 7 days and putting the filtration back on line after 45 minutes. I wonder if doing it that way is as effective but easier on snails?

Here is a picture of a small portion of my reef. They are like this over much of the rocks.
98EDA38F-56B6-4C23-A896-7C17D5EC3DE2.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back