Hermit crab eating hammer coral skeleton??

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever see this happen before? He’s literally munching away on the skeleton of a wall hammer, flesh still alive :anxious-face-with-sweat:
IMG_3550.jpeg

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an urchin hunt a nem, which had legged it (as much as one can on a pedestal foot) off to hide in a crevice (with urchin waiting it out). Same nem was eaten later that night. (second one before I found out what was happening).

I've had nasaurius snails actively go after sleeping fish. 3 jumpers later and a late nighter to find out why fish were leaping from the tank - I discovered what was going on.

A hermit munching on some coral - yeah that seems pretty normal based on my experiences! :grinning-face-with-sweat:

The fella is quite large so may take a liking to the soft tissue. If I were you, I'd be feeding him some good stuff!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an urchin hunt a nem, which had legged it (as much as one can on a pedestal foot) off to hide in a crevice (with urchin waiting it out). Same nem was eaten later that night. (second one before I found out what was happening).

I've had nasaurius snails actively go after sleeping fish. 3 jumpers later and a late nighter to find out why fish were leaping from the tank - I discovered what was going on.

A hermit munching on some coral - yeah that seems pretty normal based on my experiences! :grinning-face-with-sweat:

The fella is quite large so may take a liking to the soft tissue. If I were you, I'd be feeding him some good stuff!
Yeah I’m amazed how fast he grew, he came in a batch of hermits smaller than a dime just earlier this year! If he keeps that up he might have to join the Acan-devouring emerald crab in my sump :grinning-squinting-face:

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m amazed how fast he grew, he came in a batch of hermits smaller than a dime just earlier this year! If he keeps that up he might have to join the Acan-devouring emerald crab in my sump :grinning-squinting-face:
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reef keeping is an odd hobby. I should have just bought a tortoise or something or taken up darts.

I was thinking earlier, how come, all the most unwanted organisms, those being things that are drab in colour are so easy to thrive in a tank with little care as to parameters. Yet put something nice in there and its baby sitting duty.

I was removing a bunch of bristle worms the other day, went on a website for fish supplies only to find them selling them 10x for £20!

I could have had a fast car with the amount I got rid of.

So anyone in to bristle worms, yours for the bargain price of 10 x for £15, I'll even throw in a freebie? Any takers!?

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reef keeping is an odd hobby. I should have just bought a tortoise or something or taken up darts.

I was thinking earlier, how come, all the most unwanted organisms, those being things that are drab in colour are so easy to thrive in a tank with little care as to parameters. Yet put something nice in there and its baby sitting duty.

I was removing a bunch of bristle worms the other day, went on a website for fish supplies only to find them selling them 10x for £20!

I could have had a fast car with the amount I got rid of.

So anyone in to bristle worms, yours for the bargain price of 10 x for £15, I'll even throw in a freebie? Any takers!?
This!!!!

I have often felt that it seems so much easier to keep the non-desirable **life forms alive.

**Edited because no, they’re not “things.”

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might start up the drab tank.

Aips, worms, nudibranchs and flatworms nobody wants. Be thriving after 12 months of not looking it!

Yeah about taking up darts...

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This!!!!

I have often felt that it seems so much easier to keep the non-desirable **life forms alive.

**Edited because no, they’re not “things.”
I read my own post and felt offended. Lol. Had to fix it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back