Hermit Crab ID please

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I bought several dwarf blue leg hermits a while back. This one is not a dwarf anything. It's quadrupled it's size in a couple of months, stolen one of my Scarlets' shells (probably killed it) and has started to become a nuisance, harassing my other inverts. I threw it in my Evo that's been coral only for the last many months, aside from a hitchhiker pistol shrimp I never see and its bristleworm prey. I wasn't feeding during that time and only just got a baby bangaii cardinal in there, so it can't do much harm. Only coral to bother in there is Xenia, and some generic zoas I don't care about.

Anyway, I want to know if it's reef safe. I keep AIO tanks, so no proper sump to exile it to, but I definitely don't want to be stocking new CUC for this tank if this little monster is just going to eat them all.

Looks a bit like a zebra, but it has white spotted claws and they don't seem to.

20231017_173806.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thin stripe hermit crab

OP
OP
VanIsleReefTherapy

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thin stripe hermit crab

Maybe? It only seems to have one stripe on its legs. Certainly would explain the rapid growth, though. Those are far larger than I can support in my tanks (13.5 & 40).

I'll keep looking at it and try to get pictures that include it's eye stalks, and more of its legs.

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
VanIsleReefTherapy

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe? It only seems to have one stripe on its legs. Certainly would explain the rapid growth, though. Those are far larger than I can support in my tanks (13.5 & 40).

I'll keep looking at it and try to get pictures that include it's eye stalks, and more of its legs.

Thanks for your help!
thin stripe hermit crab

So, here's another pic. One stripe per leg on the dorsal side. Antennae are red with a single blue band. Eye stalks appear white,

Attachments

• 20231017_181418.jpg
    20231017_181418.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
VanIsleReefTherapy

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if Clibanarius antillensis is a match.
1697602163828.png

Yes! This is it! All the images don't match but this one does.

Thank you! Still don't know how reef safe it is, but at least it shouldn't get the size of a Halloween Hermit!

OP
OP
VanIsleReefTherapy

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1697602163828.png

Yes! This is it! All the images don't match but this one does.

Thank you! Still don't know how reef safe it is, but at least it shouldn't get the size of a Halloween Hermit!

Hmmm. More research says others who have gotten them in a batch of blue legs have seen them display rapid growth into aggressive, quick, strong fighters killing off tank mates bigger than them.

Hopefully the lfs will let me throw him in one of their sumps. I was wondering what had happened to my ten blue legs that dwindled down to two... They're why. I also need CUC in the small tank now that there's a fish in there and nutrients will go up. They've got to go.

Thanks for the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back