Hermit crab molt or hitchhiker?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ame16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ame16

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2026
Messages
43
Reaction score
45
Location
NEPA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas? The red legs you see belong to a hermit crab, which is why I’m wondering if it’s molting or if this is some sort of hitchhiker.

I’ve asked a lot of dumb questions since joining this hobby, and this may prove to be the dumbest, but I’ve gotta know. 😂
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2480.mov
    7.3 MB
  • IMG_2481.mov
    17.4 MB
You're probably going to have to wait 24 hrs to get your answer. If it's a molt the hermit crab will come out once it's exoskeleton hardens. If you find an empty shell it's probably curtains for the crab.


🦀🦀🦀🦀
 
I’m just so curious if that’s its molt or if it’s some crazy weird slug thing engaged in an epic slug v. crab battle, haha
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new