Hermit crab picking up smaller one

  • Thread starter Thread starter iratoha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

iratoha

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2024
Messages
76
Reaction score
30
Location
lake Saint Louis
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im not sure it’s right forum, so im sorry in advance. I bought 7 hermit crabs couple months ago. I know they need to change shells so I also picked a lot of snail shells different sizes. Two of this crabs changed shells pretty fast and grow a lot. Others didn’t grow so much and couple of them still in their original shells. Couple weeks ago I noticed that bigger crab pickings up smaller ones. First I thought it wants to mate, but then I noticed that it just holds them upside down, doing something with its shell. I read that it can mean they want their shell, but it’s like two times smaller, why it want it? Is it time to get rid of big guy? (Donate it) Thank you.
 
Probably one of many things or a combination of things.
A- He's just checking it out
B- He's eating the algae off the shell
C- He's hungry and wants to eat the hermit
D- He's a jerk
Hermits are opportunistic eaters, wouldn't be surprised if he just wants to eat it because he can.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new