Hermit Crab Shell Size

  • Thread starter Thread starter reddogf5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reddogf5

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2021
Messages
139
Reaction score
133
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the largest size shell that should be available for hermits? Mine are the common blue legged variety for sale everywhere, and I want to make sure there are enough shells of the maximum size for them. Any ideas as to rough size, opening dimension, or anything else? Haven't been able to find a good answer to this anywhere.
 
What is the largest size shell that should be available for hermits? Mine are the common blue legged variety for sale everywhere, and I want to make sure there are enough shells of the maximum size for them. Any ideas as to rough size, opening dimension, or anything else? Haven't been able to find a good answer to this anywhere.
Just a little bigger than their shell. They can get pretty big but that takes a lot of time, no need at all to keep shells for their late size.
 
What is the largest size shell that should be available for hermits? Mine are the common blue legged variety for sale everywhere, and I want to make sure there are enough shells of the maximum size for them. Any ideas as to rough size, opening dimension, or anything else? Haven't been able to find a good answer to this anywhere.
I have a couple bigger/older blue leg hermits that have upgraded to shells with roughly 1/2 inch diameter openings. Shell length, about 1.5 inch. From what I've read, this is probably the max size they would need.

Also, they seem to grow faster if they have bigger shells. I ran out of the larger shells and the hermits stuck with the smaller shells seem to have stopped or slowed growing. This is just an observation and may not be entirely true.
 
Last edited:
This was what mine used.

hermit_shells.jpg
 
Thanks, 1.5" with a 1/2" opening is bigger than they have, I am going to find some larger shells to keep them from fighting or attacking snails.
 
Would These work? My blue/red leg and Hawaiian hermits need larger shells
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new