Hermit crab shells

Summit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get some new shells for our hermits before they start going after the snails. LFS doesn’t really have shells available and suggested going online to get some. But I was curious if picking some up from somewhere like Hobby Lobby would be fine as long as they’re not painted? It seems much cheaper that way for a larger variety than a $15 pack of 6 off of somewhere like Etsy/Amazon. Or is there another recommended place to get some? We have several really tiny blue leg hermits and a couple larger red leg hermits. Thanks in advance!

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several places you can find them online:

I personally prefer Reef Cleaners ... they have been really great to me over the years.

Technically, I suppose you can buy them at Hobby lobby, but I would be worried about any treatment or chemical cleaning they may have undergone prior to sale ... I would worry about it leaving something behind that could hurt the crab. Not sure if that's just in my head though.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get some new shells for our hermits before they start going after the snails. LFS doesn’t really have shells available and suggested going online to get some. But I was curious if picking some up from somewhere like Hobby Lobby would be fine as long as they’re not painted? It seems much cheaper that way for a larger variety than a $15 pack of 6 off of somewhere like Etsy/Amazon. Or is there another recommended place to get some? We have several really tiny blue leg hermits and a couple larger red leg hermits. Thanks in advance!
I ordered an assortment of hermit shells from Amazon. The tiny hermits took to them as soon as they were large enough. The assortment included huge variation in sizes so I only put a few shells that could serve as the “next size up.” Is fun watching them take new homes and also be distinct from each other, too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back