Hermit crab shells

Summit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get some new shells for our hermits before they start going after the snails. LFS doesn’t really have shells available and suggested going online to get some. But I was curious if picking some up from somewhere like Hobby Lobby would be fine as long as they’re not painted? It seems much cheaper that way for a larger variety than a $15 pack of 6 off of somewhere like Etsy/Amazon. Or is there another recommended place to get some? We have several really tiny blue leg hermits and a couple larger red leg hermits. Thanks in advance!

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several places you can find them online:

I personally prefer Reef Cleaners ... they have been really great to me over the years.

Technically, I suppose you can buy them at Hobby lobby, but I would be worried about any treatment or chemical cleaning they may have undergone prior to sale ... I would worry about it leaving something behind that could hurt the crab. Not sure if that's just in my head though.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get some new shells for our hermits before they start going after the snails. LFS doesn’t really have shells available and suggested going online to get some. But I was curious if picking some up from somewhere like Hobby Lobby would be fine as long as they’re not painted? It seems much cheaper that way for a larger variety than a $15 pack of 6 off of somewhere like Etsy/Amazon. Or is there another recommended place to get some? We have several really tiny blue leg hermits and a couple larger red leg hermits. Thanks in advance!
I ordered an assortment of hermit shells from Amazon. The tiny hermits took to them as soon as they were large enough. The assortment included huge variation in sizes so I only put a few shells that could serve as the “next size up.” Is fun watching them take new homes and also be distinct from each other, too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back