Hermit crab shells

  • Thread starter Thread starter Summit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Summit

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2021
Messages
11
Reaction score
3
Location
Wylie
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get some new shells for our hermits before they start going after the snails. LFS doesn’t really have shells available and suggested going online to get some. But I was curious if picking some up from somewhere like Hobby Lobby would be fine as long as they’re not painted? It seems much cheaper that way for a larger variety than a $15 pack of 6 off of somewhere like Etsy/Amazon. Or is there another recommended place to get some? We have several really tiny blue leg hermits and a couple larger red leg hermits. Thanks in advance!
 
There are several places you can find them online:

https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/empty-hermit-shells
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1756/?pcatid=1756
https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&cid=80&pid=1112
I personally prefer Reef Cleaners ... they have been really great to me over the years.

Technically, I suppose you can buy them at Hobby lobby, but I would be worried about any treatment or chemical cleaning they may have undergone prior to sale ... I would worry about it leaving something behind that could hurt the crab. Not sure if that's just in my head though.
 
I’m looking to get some new shells for our hermits before they start going after the snails. LFS doesn’t really have shells available and suggested going online to get some. But I was curious if picking some up from somewhere like Hobby Lobby would be fine as long as they’re not painted? It seems much cheaper that way for a larger variety than a $15 pack of 6 off of somewhere like Etsy/Amazon. Or is there another recommended place to get some? We have several really tiny blue leg hermits and a couple larger red leg hermits. Thanks in advance!
I ordered an assortment of hermit shells from Amazon. The tiny hermits took to them as soon as they were large enough. The assortment included huge variation in sizes so I only put a few shells that could serve as the “next size up.” Is fun watching them take new homes and also be distinct from each other, too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new