Hermit crab won't move

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I've had a 10g set up for a few weeks now, it's been cycled, and parameters are all good other than my ph is a little low (8.0). I got two snails and a hermit two days ago, and the two snails are moving around great, one more than the other but the hermit crab didn't move for several hours and when it did it moved maybe 3 inches and has been there for over 24 hours. He's out of his shell, moving his mandibles around but he won't move [emoji23] is this normal for him? Maybe the difference in salinity from my tank to the LFS is too much of a change? I acclimated him for several minutes.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a pic ? He could be molting

OP
OP
jordan be

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a pic ? He could be molting

b1d6893e33cbed9ba7698a9857606d5e.jpg

This is the best I could get

OP
OP
jordan be

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He moved on the rock from the sand bed while I was at work today so that's good

OP
OP
jordan be

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: he moves sometimes.. most of the time I'm looking at the tank he's in his shell, and I've stayed up late, gotten up early, and everything in between to see this little guy in action. I've never seen him move but every once in a while I'll walk in and he's in a slightly different spot. He's only stayed in about 1.5 gallons of the water in the tank for a week! The other two hermits in there are really small blu legged hermits, and scoot around all day and night, and never really go near the scarlet. I'm so confused, somebody please enlighten me, lol.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I vote for him just being a lazy little booger. I’ve had a couple hermits chill in one spot for days only to move to another spot for days. No roaming just chill mode all day all night.

OP
OP
jordan be

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so, lol. It also might be because his shell is too big?? Lazy and greedy hermit? Haha. Here's him on his rock that nobody else goes on.
2c9170750789367648f1898fc8dfb5ba.jpg

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No his shell is not too big. Here's a pic of one of my hermits next to his old shell. The new one is about 2" long and I threw it in just because my dad gave it to me from an old collection. I thought it was way too big for a red leg or scarlet hermit but he has no problem huffing it up the mountain. I call him big britches now because it looks like the shell is moving up and down the rocks on own. I wouldn't worry about your hermit, he's probably just figuring out his new home.
f2e078a72c3a6f702a260828c4646af0.jpg

OP
OP
jordan be

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No his shell is not too big. Here's a pic of one of my hermits next to his old shell. The new one is about 2" long and I threw it in just because my dad gave it to me from an old collection. I thought it was way too big for a red leg or scarlet hermit but he has no problem huffing it up the mountain. I call him big britches now because it looks like the shell is moving up and down the rocks on own. I wouldn't worry about your hermit, he's probably just figuring out his new home.
f2e078a72c3a6f702a260828c4646af0.jpg

Thanks! He's started moving around pretty well.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back