Hermit Crabs all Molting at the same time

Hugo Garcia

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2017
Messages
173
Reaction score
55
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I’ve had 6 hermit crabs in my 20 gallon tank for 2 weeks now, and during the first days they where all right, moving around, doing stuff, but lately they’ve all stop moving and 3 of them have molted, at same time. I find this very strange, they all seem to be alive, but not moving at all. I’ve made a large water change yesterday hoping this would help, but now I just have an algae break out. One of them seemed to be dead, but I still have hopes it will move. Any ideas, suggestions?
 
Typically synced moltings are due to a parameter swing or similar stressful event. Can you list your parameters? How old is the tank?
 
Mine do this too. I always figured it was sort of a defense mechanism. Like in the wild if they all molt at the same time then less of them will get picked off while they are waiting for the exoskeleton to harden. It's just a theory ant I have no clue for real why.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new