Hermit crabs dying

DustinHale77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the past few days I've noticed a dead hermit crab, one in the sump and three in the main display. They were all over 7 years old in my tank, so not new by any means. All my perimeters look good I've checked for stray voltage the only thing I don't have are metal tests. Anyone have other ideas? I changed salt two months ago to Reef Crystals.

Thanks

OP
OP
DustinHale77

DustinHale77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new fish I was thinking live stock but to have one in the sump and display its leading me to believe its a water issue. Can high calcium be bad for hermits its at 500 at the moment?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Could have developed disease at molt or damage by tank occupants...that an IF.
I would look at chemistry, mainly Nitrite/nitrate levels as well as possible low or high calcium which they need for their shells at molting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DustinHale77

DustinHale77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking but nitrite is at 0 ,nitrate at .07 and my calcium is higher then ever at 500 I was thinking maybe too high. Idk?
Could have developed disease at molt or damage by tank occupants...that an IF.
I would look at chemistry, mainly Nitrite/nitrate levels as well as possible low calcium which they need for their shells at molting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That's what I was thinking but nitrite is at 0 ,nitrate at .07 and my calcium is higher then ever at 500 I was thinking maybe too high. Idk?
Yes, CA is high. you will be be able to bring it down by adding new water and not adding CA for at least 2-3 weeks

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back