Can clownfish fry and a hermit crab live together

Jacoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can clown fish fry and hermit crabs be together

My clown fish fry are 3 days old and the water is tinted so i cant see if they are all still alive. was thinking of throwing a hermit in there to eat the dead fry if there are any.
has anyone tried this before, this should also keep an ammonia spike away, right?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would assume hermit crabs would pose a threat to any larvae that swim low enough, but I'd guess you'd probably have survivors (at least until settlement). I'm not sure the hermits would help keep ammonia and nutrients under control, but it's an interesting thought.

Personally, I wouldn't try it.

Lonster00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits are rather tenacious hunters. I think I would rather put in a few small snails and let them mow the surfaces clean. They will eat whatever is on the sides and bottom. I currently have a new batch of clown babies that are exactly 3 days old tonight and considering the same thing. Doing the water change as we speak. The hard part is keeping the Rotifer cultures from crashing until they get to about day 10 when I can switch them to another food source. Last spring when I was raising a batch of baby clowns, I put in a mesh bag of carbon with an air stone next to it to try and help absorb ammonia as well as daily 40 % water changes. I take the water out with an airline tube with an air stone on the end in the baby tank, and drip new water back in putting the basis of new saltwater on top of the tank and dripping it back in using a rigid airline tube in the bucket attached to a flexible tube into the baby tank with an air valve on the end so I can control the speed of the drips.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back