Clownfish fry

laughing tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the sponge itself isnt on, it just has the seeded bacteria on it from the parent tank. You dont want it on until after meta, the fry prior to kinds jus float with current mostly so would get stuck to the filter.
Oh!! Now that is a very interesting detail that I completely would have missed. Thank you! I will add it to my notes. Our pair is taking a break from spawning (the female is from 2005 so likely 20 years old). I am going to take advantage of the break to set up the fry tank and do a trial run so I can get used to the procedures. It won't be a total replication of course without the fry, but I just want to get my feet wet before we get a hatch.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!! Now that is a very interesting detail that I completely would have missed. Thank you! I will add it to my notes. Our pair is taking a break from spawning (the female is from 2005 so likely 20 years old). I am going to take advantage of the break to set up the fry tank and do a trial run so I can get used to the procedures. It won't be a total replication of course without the fry, but I just want to get my feet wet before we get a hatch.
Definitely lol takes a lot of prep work. This new batch of eggs is gonna be a loss sadly, today maybe 7 left with parents and few I had arent gonna make it. Caught it yesterday my rofiter pop kept dying when introduced to fry tank, turns out thr salinity of the rotifers dipped to 1.010 vs 1.025. I think i mistakingly used RO water for changes the last week and dropped it so having to slowly raise again dripping 1.031 into the rotifer batch.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 30 update: All but 1 fry is through meta, of the 25, only 15 remain. Ones that went through meta faster apparently will bully those who havent sadly they didnt make it. Starting their sunrise -> sunset light cycle tomorrow and turning on sponge filter. Surprisingly they only have one stripe still, one is also a pale orange vs the rest.

laughing tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it goes. We are on day 5 of our first clutch we are going to try to raise. It's been mad scramble of supplies flowing in, lots of research (thank you for your helpful notes). We are close to having everything set up. Since we haven't counted before how long they take to hatch we may have to do a few trial runs. Ours are in the DT.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it goes. We are on day 5 of our first clutch we are going to try to raise. It's been mad scramble of supplies flowing in, lots of research (thank you for your helpful notes). We are close to having everything set up. Since we haven't counted before how long they take to hatch we may have to do a few trial runs. Ours are in the DT.
They made it through great with their first night, i think the dim sunrise gradually going to full light helped. Will post a vid when home. As for your clowns they most likely will hatch on day 8 through 10. Thats been about the norm ive seen for most and 5 batches for mine. I nust test it daily at day 8 and once lights are off i turn off filters etc for 30mins-1hr by then if they are hatching ull be able to gather up, if not just turn it all back on per usual. The pattern for mine seems lay -> 8-10 days hatch -> 2 week break -> lay and repeat

laughing tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Interesting on the sunrise light, I did not think of that. Yeah we had only 10 days between the last hatch and spawn: surprise! Our practice time got cut short. Our plan was as you suggest - we'll probably test at day 7, just to get the hang to things, and then continue testing. Our question was, since light stops hatching, and it's all dark, how do you see if they are hatching? Quick peek? red light?

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Interesting on the sunrise light, I did not think of that. Yeah we had only 10 days between the last hatch and spawn: surprise! Our practice time got cut short. Our plan was as you suggest - we'll probably test at day 7, just to get the hang to things, and then continue testing. Our question was, since light stops hatching, and it's all dark, how do you see if they are hatching? Quick peek? red light?
Whatever side the ends are on use a light on the opposite as far as u can. The fry go right to it, i use my phone light to check since the eggs are laid on the left side i go the far right and shine in for a bit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back