Clownfish fry

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took 4 years but got a clutch of clown fry survived day 1 and are doing alright. I just cant tell if lighting is too dim for them, half the tank has a cover to block light so they get 50/50. Currently dont see any doing anything unusual, occasional dart to the surface then back down out of view. Just unsure if fry strickly eat at the surface or mid of tank as well. Water is tinted and there are abundant rotifers currently spawning in fry tank. With lighting can see the rotifers with fry. (Phone cam brightening things more than actual)

20240124_021849.jpg 20240124_022326.jpg

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lotsa babies visible here, day 2 paranoid about rotifers so dosed another 2 cups worth lol will do another 2 in 3hrs

Attachments

• 20240124_133655.jpg
    20240124_133655.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 76

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Took 4 years but got a clutch of clown fry survived day 1 and are doing alright. I just cant tell if lighting is too dim for them, half the tank has a cover to block light so they get 50/50. Currently dont see any doing anything unusual, occasional dart to the surface then back down out of view. Just unsure if fry strickly eat at the surface or mid of tank as well. Water is tinted and there are abundant rotifers currently spawning in fry tank. With lighting can see the rotifers with fry. (Phone cam brightening things more than actual)

20240124_021849.jpg 20240124_022326.jpg
Light is good. Feed them rotifiers and assure water quality is good

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they need food. Just remember rotifer cause lots of ammonia so watch your water quality.
Yeah, been using prime and tinting water with RG complete to help with ammonia buildup. Starting tomorrow day 3 will start drip of clean saltwater into tank up til tank is filled then start a cleaning schedule daily

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3: So far so good, only lost 1 so far. Started a drip of fresh saltwater with prime mixed in it, took a small pinch of TDO-A, and put it in (honestly can't tell if it makes any difference or if they eating it lol) Usual tinting of water every 4hrs or so with RG complete, not adding rotifers as population is stable on its own now. Will continue to keep the drip going until the tank is full and begin water changes. (probably day 7)

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4. Things good so far, continuing usual process. Not sure if babies eating TDO but tossin small pinch every 3-4hrs so tank doesnt have a ton of uneaten food.

Attachments

• 20240126_171915.mp4
    23.4 MB
OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5. Possible tragedy struck, tinted water a deeper green per usual at night. Today feels like have 15ish babies left but hard to tell after tinting. Rotifer population is going strong, no other changes, dosed prime before sleeping. Ones still left munchin away, have another gallon drip running. Once it empties later tonight, ill use a credit card to move stuf at bottom to a corner and siphon it out. Will update later today on status and numbers remaining

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing any ammonia testing? Prime only goes so far. Also if the rotifers aren't clearing you probably have too many then add in TDO A..... I've made the overfeeding mistake a bunch. Hope you keep some going.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing any ammonia testing? Prime only goes so far. Also if the rotifers aren't clearing you probably have too many then add in TDO A..... I've made the overfeeding mistake a bunch. Hope you keep some going.
Yeah, im thinking the small bit of tdo-a and rotifers might of spiked ammonia. Was hoping the addition of water drip+prime would offset but may be better off to start at full 10 gallons of water so can begin immediate water changes. Then can pull 1 gallon of rotifers+goop out and prevent population overkill. Considering this batch was about 30 or so starting (forgot and filter got most) if 5 survive id call it a win for first try. If not learned alot this round.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill test ammonia before i do the water change and update. It been fine but as u said tdo may of been the nail jn the coffin

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured they would be ok til day 7 but def not lol

MurphyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you get some to make it through. I currently have a pair of clowns laying and it took me 5 clutches to get survivors. Currently I have one clutch at 20 days and another at 9 days and a clutch hatching on Monday . What seemed to help me was doing daily vacuuming and water changes using water from the parents tank the first week. Also I did switch from RG complete to Rotigrow Omega. Good luck you will get it, then you will have to figure out what to do with all those clowns .

Attachments

• IMG_8585.jpeg
    IMG_8585.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 68

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, im thinking the small bit of tdo-a and rotifers might of spiked ammonia. Was hoping the addition of water drip+prime would offset but may be better off to start at full 10 gallons of water so can begin immediate water changes. Then can pull 1 gallon of rotifers+goop out and prevent population overkill. Considering this batch was about 30 or so starting (forgot and filter got most) if 5 survive id call it a win for first try. If not learned alot this round.
Great work.
Batches will increase in time, maybe 200 or more.
If you get 1 that’s great success, it’s not easy at all.
Metamorphosis in the 10-20 day range thins them out a bit as well.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well really you already have a win. Once they start laying they usually will keep at it. So you have your first experiment going. It may lead to settled clown fish it may not. But you've learned some lessons and you'll have another chance soon enough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back