something funny with clownfish babies

rojo311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been breeding some clownfish to have a harem tank. I have setup 3 fry/baby tanks. today I placed the 64 babies from 3 different clutches into 1 tank with a divider in my main tank. Now I placed these fish with 2 adults (Paired) that are not the parents. I woke up this morning to see 10 babies got past the divider and were swimming with the 2 adults. I went into full panic mode lol. I couldnt find the net and I thought the 2 adults were eating the babies. My wife in a calmly voice says "I think they are getting along" lol. I Look and 3 of the babies are in the flower pot I setup with the pair. Sometimes the info we get is so wrong. Sometimes when we are doing research, the research we find is 10 years old or you find 10 different methods. I will still separate all the clowns because it is much easier to feed the babies when they are batched up. I had a brain bleed over a year ago and lost all my corals and a few fish. for the first time in a long time, having reef tanks is fun again.

PS if there are 2 pieces of advice for anyone trying to breed clownfish....
1) watch your ammonia. Iam 100% certain you will get it. it will sneak up on you so keep up on the water changes
2) leave them alone. they are terrified of you. you are godzilla to them. move slowly.

I lost a whole clutch when my air tube bent. the fish were only out of air for 2 hours. But between 300-500 fry and rotifers all needing air.... it is very easy for all that life to use up all the oxygen in the water. So I run 2 stones. 1 on each side.

Good luck to all

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been breeding some clownfish to have a harem tank. I have setup 3 fry/baby tanks. today I placed the 64 babies from 3 different clutches into 1 tank with a divider in my main tank. Now I placed these fish with 2 adults (Paired) that are not the parents. I woke up this morning to see 10 babies got past the divider and were swimming with the 2 adults. I went into full panic mode lol. I couldnt find the net and I thought the 2 adults were eating the babies. My wife in a calmly voice says "I think they are getting along" lol. I Look and 3 of the babies are in the flower pot I setup with the pair. Sometimes the info we get is so wrong. Sometimes when we are doing research, the research we find is 10 years old or you find 10 different methods. I will still separate all the clowns because it is much easier to feed the babies when they are batched up. I had a brain bleed over a year ago and lost all my corals and a few fish. for the first time in a long time, having reef tanks is fun again.

PS if there are 2 pieces of advice for anyone trying to breed clownfish....
1) watch your ammonia. Iam 100% certain you will get it. it will sneak up on you so keep up on the water changes
2) leave them alone. they are terrified of you. you are godzilla to them. move slowly.

I lost a whole clutch when my air tube bent. the fish were only out of air for 2 hours. But between 300-500 fry and rotifers all needing air.... it is very easy for all that life to use up all the oxygen in the water. So I run 2 stones. 1 on each side.

Good luck to all
I've left my clutches with the parents who will only go after them if they feel threatened by other fish. Water quality is a must to prevent fungus and other issue with the fry

OP
OP
R

rojo311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've left my clutches with the parents who will only go after them if they feel threatened by other fish. Water quality is a must to prevent fungus and other issue with the fry
ahh you have put them with the parents? I wasnt sure that was a good idea. only reason i put them with the other adults is the way that tank is setup. the tank where the parents are is too big to put a divider. Also the tank where the parents are is unsafe for them with the return. they may fall in. with the parents still laying eggs, I thought they would attack the babies to protect the eggs

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back