Hermit Crabs in Dark Sump?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nickkohrn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2018
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
5,095
Location
Lima, OH
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five or six hermit crabs that will be transferred into my frag system. I'd prefer to keep them in the sump so that the snails in the display can be spared death sentences by crabs that want their shells. Since the sump is dark most of the time, does it seem cruel to keep the crabs there? The chamber in which I would keep them, there is live rock, MarinePure spheres and plates, and it typically contains detritus since it's the chamber that also contains filter socks. I have no problem feeding them when I feed the rest of the system, but I'm unsure of whether it's cruel to keep them in the dark for most of the day.

Any thoughts on this?
 
I think they will do OK in the dark. You could add a simple light for a few dollars. It doesn't need to be much of a light and you could buy a clip on fixture with a bulb for under $25.

I think it's great that you care, but I think the cruelty level to hermit crabs is in the eye of the beholder.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new