Hewbie has an infection maybe?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a new light and I left it on a very low setting last night but none of my fish in this tank are used to having a light above them and on. And I think this caused Hewbie to see his reflection all night and he chased it and it caused an injury. I only left it on because they’ve been in the complete dark most the day previously and figured they’d appreciate a little light since it’s the basement. I plan to monitor and possibly treat it but I’m not sure with what. I turned the lights off and I hope it doesn’t get worse. What can I treat it with? Does it look like an injury from rubbing against the glass? The only other fish are an angel, tang, and a wrasse who I suppose could be one of the culprits. Thoughts? He seemed stressed for some reason and was glass surfing a lot more today I noticed. As mentioned I can only suspect the light/his reflection as I turned it off and he stopped chasing himself. @Jay Hemdal
IMG_1701.jpeg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this video too but both are hard to get when the subject won’t stop moving lol! I’m worried it’s going to get worse which is why I labeled it an emergency so any thoughts are welcome. Also I’d really prefer not to have to pull him so if I can treat/add something to the tank I will gladly do so since this tank is fish only.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have this video too but both are hard to get when the subject won’t stop moving lol! I’m worried it’s going to get worse which is why I labeled it an emergency so any thoughts are welcome. Also I’d really prefer not to have to pull him so if I can treat/add something to the tank I will gladly do so since this tank is fish only.
Looks like an impact injury and not one from rubbing against glass.There is much life rock which if you feel it is rough and has sharp spots on it. One nice thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal and heal quickly. Keep an eye on area for healing and not becoming infected.
Having Seachem Kanaplex or Ruby rally on hand will be an advantage should it become infected/raw.
Good water quality is best protection against infection.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like an impact injury and not one from rubbing against glass. there is much live rock which if you feel it is rough and has sharp spots on it. One nice thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal and heal quickly. Keep an eye on area for healing and not becoming infected.
Having Seachem Kanaplex or Ruby rally on hand will be an advantage should it become infected/raw.
Good water quality is best protection against infection.
Thank you and check at least as best as you can have with a pufferfish who poops constantly. The water itself is essentially brand new since I had to reset the tank back up so the nutrients are low.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new light and I left it on a very low setting last night but none of my fish in this tank are used to having a light above them and on. And I think this caused Hewbie to see his reflection all night and he chased it and it caused an injury. I only left it on because they’ve been in the complete dark most the day previously and figured they’d appreciate a little light since it’s the basement. I plan to monitor and possibly treat it but I’m not sure with what. I turned the lights off and I hope it doesn’t get worse. What can I treat it with? Does it look like an injury from rubbing against the glass? The only other fish are an angel, tang, and a wrasse who I suppose could be one of the culprits. Thoughts? He seemed stressed for some reason and was glass surfing a lot more today I noticed. As mentioned I can only suspect the light/his reflection as I turned it off and he stopped chasing himself. @Jay Hemdal
IMG_1701.jpeg

Sorry - just getting up. I agree, it does look like an impact injury. This species is known for "glass surfing" when stressed or even for no apparent reason at all. However, they usually rub their mouth's when doing that. I had one large porcupine that literally destroyed the acrylic panel of its tank by scratching it with its teeth to the point where we needed to buff the panel out.

Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry - just getting up. I agree, it does look like an impact injury. This species is known for "glass surfing" when stressed or even for no apparent reason at all. However, they usually rub their mouth's when doing that. I had one large porcupine that literally destroyed the acrylic panel of its tank by scratching it with its teeth to the point where we needed to buff the panel out.

Jay
Oh boy! I do love my little buddy but yes they do glass surf like crazy! I always say they are obsessed with themselves lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back