Hewbie update and let the target training begin!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got some pool rings to target train him! He already went through them it’s so cute! And today I had a slight ammonia spike on top of possibly overeating/digesting his food and he wasn’t himself. I added some AmGuard and Prime and get an ammonia absorption pad and now he’s back to his normal spunky self. I picked up a protein skimmer for $30 a bargain and that is will help to keep the water clean. I will continue to monitor closely. I was hesitant to do a water change because I know it’s temporary and I’m trying not to stall the cycle but either way I’m waiting for it to sort itself out.
7ACFC8C3-4853-4A54-812B-778632C7344F.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding less will not starve the beggar but it will help prevent ammonia spikes that might.
And quit trying to train the fish for the circus. Hubbard is a great mathematician and he should go to Harvard when he grows up. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feeding less will not starve the beggar but it will help prevent ammonia spikes that might.
And quit trying to train the fish for the circus. Hubbard is a great mathematician and he should go to Harvard when he grows up. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I know it’s so hard too! He does beg like a puppy but I really need to.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always amazed at how much joy we find having a tiny pet to indulge, feed, and enjoy in our lives. We have a chinchilla that our oldest son rescued from a home that was not willing to allow him into their home when a granddaughter brought him home without permission. I was so happy that he was not a biological grandson and that our son was concerned enough for the animal that he flirted with the young lady until she surrendered the pet “until she could convince her family that the chinchilla was an okay pet for their house.” That was years ago and we’ve grown quite fond of the little guy and would never be able to give him back to the girl who spent her life savings to buy the animal and a cage for him. The cage was for a small animal and really not designed to accommodate a rock hopper that is a very social animal and needs constant attention from the family.
The experience has improved how I interact with my pets and made me more conscientious towards my fish and corals needs for clean water and proper food. A bag of hay is not enough, and a comfortable habitat is only the minimal requirement for living creatures.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m always amazed at how much joy we find having a tiny pet to indulge, feed, and enjoy in our lives. We have a chinchilla that our oldest son rescued from a home that was not willing to allow him into their home when a granddaughter brought him home without permission. I was so happy that he was not a biological grandson and that our son was concerned enough for the animal that he flirted with the young lady until she surrendered the pet “until she could convince her family that the chinchilla was an okay pet for their house.” That was years ago and we’ve grown quite fond of the little guy and would never be able to give him back to the girl who spent her life savings to buy the animal and a cage for him. The cage was for a small animal and really not designed to accommodate a rock hopper that is a very social animal and needs constant attention from the family.
The experience has improved how I interact with my pets and made me more conscientious towards my fish and corals needs for clean water and proper food. A bag of hay is not enough, and a comfortable habitat is only the minimal requirement for living creatures.
That’s so true! And people often overlook fish. Porcupine puffers are considered one of the more intelligent fish that really enjoy being stimulated and have great personalities. My entire family loves him and his personality. And likes to talk to him and watch him chase their finger along the glass so do I! I know I’m not the only one who talks to my fish like you would a puppy lol. He responds to people’s presence especially mine by flapping his little fins fast like a dog would wag its tail and by following me around the room or my finger across the glass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back