New to Saltwater and New to R2R and thought I would say hi

LDswims

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I thought I would jump in somewhere and give my background as well as lack of knowledge or history :):downcast-face-with-sweat:.

I am new to saltwater. I have had my tank up and running for 6 weeks now. I was running two freshwater tanks and have had tanks off and on since I was 5. From the age of 7 my dad had me maintaining the fish tank and even our pool, running all the tests, cleaning, adjusting parameters, etc. Through adulthood (whatever that is), I've continued. All with freshwater.

So. Here I am. 6 weeks into my saltwater tank. I converted a 20gal tank....meaning I moved what was in there to my other freshwater tank then drained and cleaned the tank. Added live sand, live rock, and about 17 gallons of prepared water purchased from LFS. Let that run for 3 weeks. Parameters showed a basic cycle had begun. Went to my LFS, who I trusted completely (foolish move, in retrospect). Bought two clownfish, a bubble tip anemone, and a tiger conch. Added them. Clownfish had been paired previously and had also bonded with the BTA. They were sooooo cute upon adding them to my tiny tank...the clownfish worried about the BTA so much! Over the next day the BTA moved himself to my rocks. He was hanging upside down-ish from an overhang and he seemed to be fine. Other than I worried about how much light he was getting from my dinky white LED light since he was upside down-ish under an overhand. Knowing what I know now, I also wonder if he was actually able to catch food, since he was upside down-ish and all.

Here's where I have learned I'm a fool. I went into my LFS store knowing I was getting two clowns. When I went to that LFS store six weeks ago to get started, I talked with the owner at length, and knew upon leaving, that my tank wouldn't hold much more than two clowns. I intend to move towards a mixed reef and know that I need to upgrade my light (badly!). But beyond that, my system is pretty basic and just not big enough to do wonders with. Nonetheless, it will get me going with good habits and help me learn along the way. What I don't want is to get pushed into buying something not knowing what I'm getting into and potentially kill a beautiful creature whom I only want to stare at. When I went back to the LFS three weeks ago, the owner was there but his employee was helping me. She pushed me into the BTA and conch. I now know that my tank is nowhere near stable enough for a BTA. I do, however, think the tiger conch has been beneficial. My algae is just getting started...my ugly phase isn't even ugly yet.

So here I am, 6 weeks in. My BTA died. He suddenly detached Thursday. And from there he just withered up and slipped away. I did not know enough and my resources didn't prove trustworthy. Too little too late type of thing. I am heartbroken. I am sad for the beautiful BTA. I am sad that I proved to be a fool. I am sad that I thought I was doing alright. I am sad that what I thought I knew turns out to be about 100% of nothing. I am trying, now, to move forward positively with a resource that I can count on. I tried a Facebook group where newbies can ask questions. But all anyone does there is judge and condemn. I'm looking for positivity and shareable knowledge. And understanding that we are human and that this "hobby" comes with heartbreak. I want to do my best. I want to work up to a huge tank. I want to go forward with that knowing what to do. My 20-gal is a starter. It is not my end all be all. But, that said, I want my 20-gal to thrive.

My parameters at this point are all over the place. After adding livestock the ammonia, understandably, spiked and fell. Nitrates spiked and fell, as well. And nitrites continue to show the progress between the two (I hope that makes sense). I know, at this point, that my alkalinity is high but my pH is actually low. Too much CO2 around the tank. Four dogs, four cats, four rats, and four humans...and most all of us are in this room all day every day. Trying to find a solution for that. I'm a SAHM to twin boys that are 11, going into sixth grade. We homeschool, which is why we're in the same room all day every day. We live in central Texas so opening the windows for airflow in August isn't an option. Come late fall, though, our windows will be open all the time.

And that's probably enough of an intro. Thanks for having me! (and reading my rambles.)

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif
welcome33a.gif

Puzzles386

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
And sorry for the loss of your BTA. I'm new as well and debated getting a BTA for my clowns, but from what I've read they seem above beginner level care (IMHO), and I'm going to try a couple long polyp toadstool mushrooms. If I'm lucky, I'm hoping the clowns will bond with them.

OP
OP
L

LDswims

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
And sorry for the loss of your BTA. I'm new as well and debated getting a BTA for my clowns, but from what I've read they seem above beginner level care (IMHO), and I'm going to try a couple long polyp toadstool mushrooms. If I'm lucky, I'm hoping the clowns will bond with them.
Agreed, I would consider them above beginner level. At best they need a far more established tank than I currently have. I would love to try again but it will be awhile. I will probably add another one in the future. And then coral after that, letting the cycle catch up in between.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry you lost the BTA but it seems you learned a lot as well. Go more slowly than you think you need to and if your light is inadequate, as you mention, upgrade it before you add more photosynthetic species. Wait for your nitrites to fall to zero before adding more livestock. You haven't really finished the cycle until then. While the nitrite will not kill your fish it is a sign that your biological filtration is still too immature, or you have added too much too fast. Good luck, I think you will find R2R much more welcoming and helpful than your previous experience.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
L

LDswims

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry you lost the BTA but it seems you learned a lot as well. Go more slowly than you think you need to and if your light is inadequate, as you mention, upgrade it before you add more photosynthetic species. Wait for your nitrites to fall to zero before adding more livestock. You haven't really finished the cycle until then. While the nitrite will not kill your fish it is a sign that your biological filtration is still too immature, or you have added too much too fast. Good luck, I think you will find R2R much more welcoming and helpful than your previous experience.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thank you - and I much appreciate the insights and wisdom here. It's well timed, too! I just did my daily testing and my nitrites have spiked a bit. I'm trying to convince myself to not over-react and reading your comments has calmed me enough to know this is part of the process. Ammonia had spiked and is now down...so I know nitrites are soon to follow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back