Hey can you advise on my water reading? I am trying to figure out what is happening...

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Last week one of my SPS which was in a great shape suddenly lost half of its 'skin', did not die immediately, but is in a very bad shape... Two days later I have notice that another SPS is in trouble, this one died within hours. I did not change anything, did water tests and there was nothing to raise a flag. Same readings as usual... Now I can see that some of my flavia is showing some skeleton in one place... Not sure what is happening. One candy also looks as if struggling. All other corals are sound. Also, noticed bryopsis is starting to spread (I am taking it out and clean tomorrow).

Readings (in the evening my time, lights out):

pH: 8,6
kH: 11.5
NO3: 15
Ca: 480
PO4: 0.25
Mg: 1400
Salinity: 1025

Any hints much appreciated! I am dosing Kalk and All4Reef but really small amounts at night (mostly to keep Ca and stabilize the tank)

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
It is very difficult to give a concrete advice from faraway… consider wing that, some potential suspects:
- I observed that your KH was around 8 one month ago. Did you raise to 11.5 fast?
From my experience, alk swings were never a problem… if it is done rather “slowly”.
- The tank is rather new, if I understand correctly… big shifts are normal and usually acros suffers with that.

Could be potentially a combination of both…

Best of luck!
Cheers!

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
It is very difficult to give a concrete advice from faraway… consider wing that, some potential suspects:
- I observed that your KH was around 8 one month ago. Did you raise to 11.5 fast?
From my experience, alk swings were never a problem… if it is done rather “slowly”.
- The tank is rather new, if I understand correctly… big shifts are normal and usually acros suffers with that.

Could be potentially a combination of both…

Best of luck!
Cheers!

thats the thing. no rapid changes all grand. the only change I noticed is PO4 drop slightly and ALK staying at 11. what is really surprising me is the bryo from few here and there causing some issues on one rock (cleaning tomorrow). Some dusting on the glass. I keep some animals as indicators (starfish, tube worms) and absolutely nothing showing any issues, skimmer works same, coralline algae growing...

ach and I reduced a bit kalk when I noticed the first SPS having problems thinking maybe I overdose, but again those amounts are rather homeopathic. My tank evaporates 25 litres in two weeks and I am adding 600 ml over the same time of kalk...

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this could be caused by PO4 being very low. I added some to hit .75 and I can see it worked :)

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this could be caused by PO4 being very low. I added some to hit .75 and I can see it worked :)
PH of 8.6 seems quite high with the lights out ! What's it with the lights on?
I also think .25 po4 is not very low . Quite respectable in my opinion.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How bright are you lights - and how is your flow. With a much higher All, SPS especially do better with higher flow and at least temporarily lower light. What are the units of your Phosphate?

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH of 8.6 seems quite high with the lights out ! What's it with the lights on?
I also think .25 po4 is not very low . Quite respectable in my opinion.

light JUST got out when I took the water, so at the spike of readings (after the whole day, those are the highest readings)
I usually keep PO4 at around 1.

I already see the the difference, thanks for the video and not spamming!

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
light JUST got out when I took the water, so at the spike of readings (after the whole day, those are the highest readings)
I usually keep PO4 at around 1.

I already see the the difference, thanks for the video and not spamming!
Oh that explains that then. So you run po4 at 1. Do you get any algae issues with it being at 1. ??
Mine is currently around the .8 and I'm getting a little concerned I might get algae.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running high alk, then I think you want to run higher nutrients as well.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that explains that then. So you run po4 at 1. Do you get any algae issues with it being at 1. ??
Mine is currently around the .8 and I'm getting a little concerned I might get algae.
when I raise PO4 and keep high ALK and NO3 I noticed the algae (apart from coralline) is fading away.. That was one thing I noticed that the dust started on the glass, so it was the first clue. Also with PO4 around 1 I found that SPS have nicer and deeper green color.

Currently I have some bryo from frags I took some time ago and need to take it off, bit tricky as I do not want to burn SPS with H2O2. We will see how it goes :)

If you are running high alk, then I think you want to run higher nutrients as well.

yeap, this is it :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's important to use the units you're running P at - and the test used.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back