Hey, just another new comer into the reefing world!

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A1B92C0-FCAA-42BD-8E9C-F70F670B1B22.gif

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I will definitely post some pics of the project as it progresses, and I'll try and take some pictures of the tank at my work. This thing is a monster!

Welcome to R2R.

I would think about the height of your stand for ease of water changes and cleaning. Might be a tad tall.
I did give some thought to lowering the stand when I initially came up with the concept, but I tend to work on ladders a lot at work and have a step ladder here at home so I am pretty comfortable on them. I just figure that I will enjoy the tank more if it is at a height that I am more comfortable viewing at, and I'll just have to work around the height issue lol.

Welcome Aboard!!! Research, a custom build, a second job?!? Hardly "just another new comer". Great way to start!
Hahaha ya, when I do things I tend to go a little to the extreme. It just seemed the most efficient way to get what I was looking for. Plus, most of this build will involve some level of automation so that I won't be carrying buckets around as much and to ensure as stable of environment as possible.

Hi Andrew. Welcome to R2R.. Design looks great. are you going with all new stuff or are you looking for a used system?
I am going to be using all new equipment. Except the mixing station, the guy who built the one at my work mentioned that he has an old custom mixing station at his home that I can have since he is in the process of a major upgrade and thus much too small for his use.

WELCOME!
My stand is also 42" for the same reason - great decision! haha

I enjoy watching my tank for WAY more hours than maintenance, so using the stools for maintenance is such a small trade-off IMO.
Yup, that is what I'm thinking! I also figure that I can always get some of those extension claws if absolutely necessary...or just go for a swim:p

Do you work in, or have access to, any sensitive departments at your work (where they installed the 1,100g tank)?

My plan would be to somehow bring the company down from within (not traceable of course) so you can pick up that entire tank and setup at the bankruptcy auction.

spockwelcome.jpg
That's an option! I'd be able to get the whole system at a steal!

Clint Eastwood.gif

Welcome to R2R. I love your commitment to the hobby! Be sure to keep the pics coming in your new build thread! :cool:
Thank you! I'll be sure to upload them to a build thread once I have started to gather everything.

Welcome! Got a lot family in Mississauga, and always enjoy the place when I go visit. Any good fish stores in the area?
Oh nice! Hmm, the only one that I can think of would be Big Al's which is the closest one to me. I have also heard some good things about Discount Dragon Aquarium, although I've never been there.

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm wondering if anyone would happen to know if this tank would be large enough to house 2 pairs of clown fish? I've heard that they require approximately 24"x24" area per pair. So with a tank the size of mine, would that allow for multiple pairs? I'm looking to get 2 normal coloured and 2 black/white. I would be placing some anemones on opposite sides of the tank to encourage their "home area"

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back