Hey, just another new comer into the reefing world!

316Fin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 6, 2019
Messages
18
Reaction score
52
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! My name is Andrew, I'm from Mississauga, Ontario Canada and I am just starting to get into the reefing hobby.
So a little about myself, I had a freshwater tank when I was a kid, but only in the last couple of years have I gotten back into it. I now have a 38 gal freshwater with a bunch of stuff pretty much thrown in there lol. As well as my gf's 10 gal shrimp tank. But about a year ago, the company I work at installed an 1100 gal reef tank! Needless to say I said " I gotta get me one of those!" Thus, here I am getting my feet wet. I decided that if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do this right, take my time and do a lot of research.
With that said, I went through a lot of ideas on size, shape and placement of this tank. So today I commissioned a custom tank to be build by the person whom built the one at my work. The tank will be 60"L x 30"W x 26"T peninsula, with a built in external overflow, for approximately 180 gal. Mind you, I'm not exactly made of money so this build is going to take me quite a while to complete. I'm actually going to be getting a second job to assist in paying for it lol.
With the research I have done thus far I made a drawing of how I am wanting the sump to look like. I am going to be building both the sump and stand myself(I am a welder/fitter by trade). If you see anything that you might suggest I change or tweak please do so, I can use all the input I can get! Also, my stand is gong to be 42" tall since I prefer to look at my tanks standing without hunching over :)
Sump plan.jpg

I calculated with overflow, there will be about 35 gallons of room left in the sump should the return shut off.
Thank you for reading, and sorry about the long post! Happy Reefing!
 
Welcome to R2R!!! We're glad you're here!

Clownfish.gif
 
Welcome to R2R
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new