Hey what is the best SALT to use???

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any, I've seen amazing tanks with reef crystals. But if I had to choose and price was no concern...

1. ESV B Ionic
2. Tropic Marin pro reef

Again, salt is not gonna be the determining factor in your success. If you have money to burn, get one of these. If you don't just buy reef crystals.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part.....salt is salt. Just use whatever mixes closes to the numbers you are trying to keep. I have used many different kinds......no differences as far as coral health.

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no consensus on this issue after seeing lots of threads about this. FWIW I wouldn’t say salt makes your corals healthier and grow. There are so many other factors to include, coupled with good husbandry. Look into dosing to maintain elements. There are people that have the most beautiful tanks that almost never do water changes.
I know alkalinity is the most important but beside that what other elements should I focus on?

Denise&JoelRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here your answer all the salts will grow coral and keep coral in good health. How often you change it and what you supaments you add to in is the trick.Thing like lighting ,flow and stability is what make coral fast. I use instant ocean because it cheap and come in small portions.I think binders is the problem with some salts . They tend to leave a nasty crud in you mixing station.instat ocean is what l use and most of the sps big boy use it as well.

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out in the hobby with Instant Ocean because you can't beat the price, especially on boxing day. One year I missed out on the sale, so switched to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (black pail) just because I found a great deal. This was when I learned every salt brand and models offered different levels of trace elements. I found the alk quite high so switched to the regular Red Sea salt (blue pail). This was my salt for a long time. I recently switched to the Tropic Marin Pro-Reef and found it mixes fast and clear. However, alk is on the lower end.

At the end of the day, you want to pick the salt that best matches your tank parameters.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The tropic marine classic or pro, i was interested in trying the classic as its closer to my target of around 10
having a mixed reef , I use Actif.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The argument of buying a salt mix that meets your desired parameters seems valid on the surface, and it is under one circumstance.

If you intend to only control the parameters with water changes.

This is a rare occurrence. IMO.
Everyone I know, talk to, get advice from, on this forum and the real world, either doses the top three, uses a calcium reactor, or other means to control the water column parameters.

Another true statement that was posted in this thread earlier.
It is far more difficult to lower a parameter that to raise it.

If you use a salt that has an ALK of 10-11 and you need/want to reduce it to 8-9 your going to have to change your salt mix, as there is no other option.

By changing salt mixes this will change every other water column parameter as well.
Not only the top 3 but every trace element as well. Problematic maybe, maybe not.

As the words of top reef keepers always say STABILITY is the biggest factor in keeping a healthy reef tank. Changing your salt mix is not keeping things stable its changing everything in the water column.

What I am getting at here is that if you want to lower ALK to see if the tank does better, then just lower the ALK.
If you change the salt mix and the tank continues to decline, then what was the cause?

So I find it more practical to start with the low end of the scale and adjust UP as needed.
If the ALK is high I can reduce the dose of ALK alone and see if that one element makes a difference. I am far more comfortable with that. YMMV.

Then there will be the folks that say well it will cost more in dosing agents on top of the cost of the salt mix.
Yup 100% correct, however if the few bucks difference here is what will break the reef bank and put you out of the hobby, then I recommend you don't enter it.

This hobby is expensive and there is always something that will put a hole in the wallet.

Anyway this is my .02 and I hope no one here takes offence to my words on this subject, as it is going against several peoples opinions in this thread and it is not my intention to insult or offend here. I apologize if I have.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank as of today 2-28-20
140G tank 150G sump about a 230G water volume in total.
First inhabitants
1 Kole tang
2 Snowflake Clown's

140G 2-28-20.jpg

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank as of today 2-28-20
140G tank 150G sump about a 230G water volume in total.
First inhabitants
1 Kole tang
2 Snowflake Clown's

140G 2-28-20.jpg
is the sump roughly the same size as a standard 75g like in height. I have one that is tempered. Im considering buying a 120 and using the 75 as a sump.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the sump roughly the same size as a standard 75g like in height. I have one that is tempered. Im considering buying a 120 and using the 75 as a sump.

Nope DIY using a Rubbermaid 150G trough
A Varios 8 return pump
A Regal 300 Ext recirculating skimmer
Yes I need to run some more electrical circuits and clean up the wiring...
Sump 2-28-20.jpg

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been years since I’ve tried a different salt, but I always stick with Tropic Marin Pro. I’ve tried a few cheap ones a decade plus ago, including Red Sea and reef crystals, but there was a visual difference in when switched to Tropic Marin Pro.

Right now I’m giving Tropic Marin Bio-Activ a shot to see how I like it. It’s too early for me to make a judgement on that one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back