Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ByronP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying a ton of different salts over the years I honestly believe that it doesn't really make a difference. I now use reef crystals and everything is a ok and why pay more... I think being consistent and not doing anything like adjusting parameters too fast is more important.

The best thing to improve growth rates for me has been keeping my alk, mag, and calc all in near perfect range combined with a par of 150-200 that is diffused through glass lids.

ByronP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I keep my alk around 8, reef crystals mixes higher but when combined with my existing water it makes little change at about 30-40% of the total volume.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried the following salt mix in my 10-years of reefing:

Instant ocean regular
Instant ocean reef crystals
Red Sea coral pro
Red Sea blue bucket
Fritz Pro
Aquaforest
Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Tropic Marin is my favorite because it’s the easiest and cleanest to mix, just a tad more expensive @ $99/bucket. Red Sea blue bucket comes next.

Glenn Siegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Live Aquaria professional. Since I don’t have much to compare to and therefore don’t know if my corals would either do better or worse as I have not use the others, what are your thought about LA’s salt vs say Tropic Marine Pro which seems like a popular choice and similar to my parameters? (ie: Alk 8.4 and CA 440)

I have always been reluctant to switch. Could it cause bigger issues if I do switch to try out something different like Tropic Marine when my tank is used to the LA salt?

Thx

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them...any of them. Just try and match the salt to the parameters you want (Alk/Ca) to minimize dosing and adjusting. And don't switch too often or too quickly. Normal 10% weekly WC is a fine way to switch out over a few months.

I think there's way too much ink, air and sweat over the "best salt".

Of course, I'm not changing MY salt mix because it's the best naturally. :)

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there have been a few on here with my same response.... so

I use tropic Marin pro reef salt for two reasons:

1). It mixes very close to the parameters that I want to keep in the tank. I just have to add some alk to the mix before a water change 8ml for every 5 gallons and it’s good to go. With IO purple I was adding alk, calc, and mag to get it to match.

2). It mixes clean and clear and doesn’t stain up my mixing equipment with residue = less maintenance on mixing equipment. And it stores really well too

at the end of the day I would find something that meets your needs and go with it. There is so much do with your reef tank, mixing water shouldn’t be more of a chore than it has to be.
Hope this helps!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back