Salt recommendations

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I know this is already been talked about a bunch but just looking for new recommendations or new advice. I am building a 40 gallon breeder and planning to have mostly softies and maybe some LPS so I’m wondering what the best salt is the most available around me is definitely instant ocean Reef crystals and there is some red sea salt but I know there’s a few different kind so I wouldn’t be sure which one to go with as well as the tropical marina salt. Not really looking for the most expensive soul either, so what do you guys recommend overall and if you don’t mind putting what parameters you guys keep your tanks at or what parameters you shoot for in terms of alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, that would be great.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any salt will work. Try to pick one close to the parameters you want to maintain.
I use Red Sea blue bucket. It has an alk close to what I run, 8dkh.
My parameters have been the same for 7+ years now.
Always pick a range and focus on stability.
Temp 77-80
Sg 1.026-1.027
Alk 7-7.5
Ca 420-450
Mag 1300-1400
No3 <5
Po4 .<.1

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I know this is already been talked about a bunch but just looking for new recommendations or new advice. I am building a 40 gallon breeder and planning to have mostly softies and maybe some LPS so I’m wondering what the best salt is the most available around me is definitely instant ocean Reef crystals and there is some red sea salt but I know there’s a few different kind so I wouldn’t be sure which one to go with as well as the tropical marina salt. Not really looking for the most expensive soul either, so what do you guys recommend overall and if you don’t mind putting what parameters you guys keep your tanks at or what parameters you shoot for in terms of alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, that would be great.
reef crystals is a good reliable salt, I've been using it for 3 years

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most expensive or the one that sponsors content creators. That is what you need.

Teasing aside - @The_Paradox who also happens to be the first reply is spot on. Find the product that matches your water chemistry. The reason is should you run into an emergency and need to make water quickly you don't have to worry about that. The only thing I'll add is to maybe add in budget. Depending on the frequency of water changes and size of display that may, or may not, factor in.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any salt will work. Try to pick one close to the parameters you want to maintain.
I use Red Sea blue bucket. It has an alk close to what I run, 8dkh.
My parameters have been the same for 7+ years now.
Always pick a range and focus on stability.
Temp 77-80
Sg 1.026-1.027
Alk 7-7.5
Ca 420-450
Mag 1300-1400
No3 <5
Po4 .<.1
Great thanks i’ve seen a lot of people running alkalinity of around 8 calcium around 440 to 450 and magnesium around 1400 so that sounds like a good salt. I’ve heard good stuff about the Red Sea was just unsure of which one to really run the blue bucket seems like it’s good having the alkalinity around eight.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back