Hi all. Im william

WilliamBTackett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little about myself.. So I'm a real novice here. Although in the past I've had 2 aquariums. The first was saltwater that ended with a burst tank. The second was freshwater I ultimately lost interest and sold due to needing money. Last night my daughter of 10 and I went to a local fish store to get ideas. She has decided she wants to do snails and crabs. I have tons of questions. Ill only ask 3 for now.. So any ideas and help will be appreciated.
1. Will a 20g suffice for snails and crabs with a few small fish work?
2. What types of snails, crabs and fish will work well together?
3. What equipment will I need as far as filtration, substrate and rock or decor?

Thanks in advance

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to the family!!

I think a 20g is more than sufficient for invertebrates, I have a 20g long tank myself. They are so many types of snails and crabs, I suggest going to your store and seeing what's available and what draws your interest. And many, like myself, started with regular hang on back filters, definitely need a heater, and a flow pump of some sort. Many do fine just flow with live rock for filtration, the bacteria living in the rock is what provides the biological filtration. But some form of mechanical filtration is good to pick up particles in the water.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 would work well for snails and crabs but if your going to add a handful of fish a 40 gallon would be best. (Gives you room for fish, and the larger you go the easier it is to keep your parameters in check)… I suggest turbo snails/margarita snails/ nasarrius snail/ bumble bee snail/

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! 20 gallon is fine for some inverts. I agree in checking with your local fish store to see availabilities. There are a few fish that will do ok in a 20 gallon. Gobies, firefish, clown. For filtration a hang on back is sufficient just ensure you perform water changes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back