Hi everyone! Help!

mverea97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone i’m new to the hobby. And cycled my tank, levels were perfect. I think I made the mistake of adding everything vs gradually. Here are my levels for amonia and for nitrite. I have several coral in there, 2 clownfish, 1 red blood shrimp, and cleaner crew. Does anyone suggest anything? Thanks in advance!

IMG_6681.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api give a idea of levels but to be accurate you need salfert tests or hanna tester . Any way you got a ammonia rise and nitrite don’t worry about the nitrite reading it’s your ammonia reading that you need too watch ammonia spikes kill fish . Signs of fish suffering from ammonia is rapid breathing also at the top of the water and in bad cases death . How old is your tank did you give it time to cycle until you only got a nitrate reading. You have too take things slow when stocking your tank the good bacteria has to multiply every time you put something else in . So I think your good bacteria is trying to play catch up. Was your tank done with dry rock or live rock?
You could do water changes if fish are suffering with the ammonia. Cut down a bit on feeding . Don’t add anything else until this sorts it’s self out . Keep testing your ammonia levels and keep an eye on how your fish are acting . You could add a air stone until the spike goes . Have you got a nitrate reading or is it 0

OP
OP
M

mverea97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api give a idea of levels but to be accurate you need salfert tests or hanna tester . Any way you got a ammonia rise and nitrite don’t worry about the nitrite reading it’s your ammonia reading that you need too watch ammonia spikes kill fish . Signs of fish suffering from ammonia is rapid breathing also at the top of the water and in bad cases death . How old is your tank did you give it time to cycle until you only got a nitrate reading. You have too take things slow when stocking your tank the good bacteria has to multiply every time you put something else in . So I think your good bacteria is trying to play catch up. Was your tank done with dry rock or live rock?
You could do water changes if fish are suffering with the ammonia. Cut down a bit on feeding . Don’t add anything else until this sorts it’s self out . Keep testing your ammonia levels and keep an eye on how your fish are acting . You could add an air stone until the spike goes . Have you got a nitrate reading or is it 0
I do think I should have waited to have everything go in. I set up with rock that was from someone else’s tank which was taken down recently. Yes cycled it for 3 weeks, got the 15x bacteria bottle, plus another bacteria bottle. My levels were good when I added everything, or so I thought lol

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye out for black spots on your blood shrimp, those are a sign of infection. They're pretty sensitive to poor water quality. Taking it back to the store might be a good idea, actually. Otherwise you might kill it.

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone i’m new to the hobby. And cycled my tank, levels were perfect. I think I made the mistake of adding everything vs gradually. Here are my levels for amonia and for nitrite. I have several coral in there, 2 clownfish, 1 red blood shrimp, and cleaner crew. Does anyone suggest anything? Thanks in advance!

IMG_6681.jpeg
If you have a refractor you can add zeolite to control the ammonia and they make balls or bricks to help the bacteria to grow on. The balls are not to costly but they a work really well

OP
OP
M

mverea97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a refractor you can add zeolite to control the ammonia and they make balls or bricks to help the bacteria to grow on. The balls are not to costly but they a work really well
could you recommend me any in specific? it’s my first time hearing about it

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think I should have waited to have everything go in. I set up with rock that was from someone else’s tank which was taken down recently. Yes cycled it for 3 weeks, got the 15x bacteria bottle, plus another bacteria bottle. My levels were good when I added everything, or so I thought lol
Yep you will be fine if you can get over this ammonia spike . As above has said you can get products too lower ammonia. If it keeps rising do a water change the main thing is getting all your fish and corals through this . If you have any good bottled bacteria you could try a little to try and speed up the good bacteria population growth. Just keep an eye on your fish for signs of stress due to the ammonia. Also I said about an air stone they are good in theses situations one of the first things I would do . Lowering your feeding means reducing fish poo and waste which your tank can not process at this time due to insufficient good bacteria. Hopefully you use rodi water for mixing your salt because tap water not the way to go the rodi take all the bad stuff out of the tap water also topping off your tank due too evaporation with fresh rodi water. Hope this helps you and I know you will know probably most of this but they are just reminders . Imo 3 weeks is a short cycle in my book but if your reading were good ok . Have you got a nitrate reading this is a sign that the cycle has completed its self when cycling a tank . Even that this is definitely a too much at once situation. I wish you the best of luck with your tank .

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size is the tank? How much rock in the tank? Should not have ammonia spike after adding 2 clowns, especially since it sounds like you used wet rocks from an existing tank... something is not adding up.

A tank pic always helps a lot to show whats going on with a tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back