Hi everyone newbie here

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in springhill and recently got a 110 gallon tall tank. I'm trying to plan out my live stock. Starting the tank cycle soon and want to decide my livestock before its done. I've looked at the 1 inch per gallon rule but I know it's not concrete and varies with species. My plan for fish is
1 sailfin blenny
2 ocellaris clownfish
5 blue/green chromis
1 yellow tang
1 one spot foxface
1 Ruby longfin fairy wrasse
1 bluehead fairy wrasse
1 Ruby head fairy wrasse

If this doesn't sound like it will work please give me some input as to why and what you would recommend instead.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this sounds good.

Couple Notes

Green Chromis/chromis in general tend to not like eachother and will kill eachother off. So either put them in at the same time and hope for the best or I would reccomend doing some firefish or cardinalfish. they are a little more docile to eachother(tend to be my fav also lol)

Wrasses: These wrasses have to be put in at the same time or they will fight. They will add a great deal of color to your tank. If you havent thought of a melanarus wrasse I have one and love him to death. Just a thought :)

Blenny sounds good just be careful if you turn this into a reef later on, some blennys might nip at SPS polyps and zoas so just keep an eye on him if you put those in. Usually they are reef safe though but sometimes you get those naughty ones

Clowns need to be put in together and perferably after the wrasses and all teh smaller fish go in so they can get the territory first before the clowns. Anemones go great with these guys too and its a cool symbiotic relaionship you can show people.

Tank and Foxface good Choices. I have both . Both in different tanks though but I have heard that if you put them together they tend to swim with eachother supposdvely really cool. IMO I would add both at the sae time or add the foxface first whicherver you choose. Foxface very docile so if he is added after yellow tang might be some battling but nothing life threatening.

Hope this helps...Sorry for the typing I just suck at typing and too lazy for autocorrect.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
AcanSweeper

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this sounds good.

Couple Notes

Green Chromis/chromis in general tend to not like eachother and will kill eachother off. So either put them in at the same time and hope for the best or I would reccomend doing some firefish or cardinalfish. they are a little more docile to eachother(tend to be my fav also lol)

Wrasses: These wrasses have to be put in at the same time or they will fight. They will add a great deal of color to your tank. If you havent thought of a melanarus wrasse I have one and love him to death. Just a thought :)

Blenny sounds good just be careful if you turn this into a reef later on, some blennys might nip at SPS polyps and zoas so just keep an eye on him if you put those in. Usually they are reef safe though but sometimes you get those naughty ones

Clowns need to be put in together and perferably after the wrasses and all teh smaller fish go in so they can get the territory first before the clowns. Anemones go great with these guys too and its a cool symbiotic relaionship you can show people.

Tank and Foxface good Choices. I have both . Both in different tanks though but I have heard that if you put them together they tend to swim with eachother supposdvely really cool. IMO I would add both at the sae time or add the foxface first whicherver you choose. Foxface very docile so if he is added after yellow tang might be some battling but nothing life threatening.

Hope this helps...Sorry for the typing I just suck at typing and too lazy for autocorrect.

Thanks for the info on introducing the fish! I was totally backwards and was going to add clowns first.

I have read that about the chromis but did like the fact they can school and swim higher up in the water column, I was interested in cardinals so I'll look into them as another option.

I'm also doing cuc with a couple emeralds and a star so might not even do a bottom dweller. Do you have any recommendations for a goby or blenny?

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just thought I'd offer some thoughts on the chromis...

I have tried several times with different tanks to have "schooling" chromis. It has never worked out until my most recent tank which is a 150 high (48x24x30").

I tried in a 90 and a 120 and both times ended up with 2.

This time I added 5 and ended up with 4 that have been together for about a year now. They stay up in the water column together during the day, and then hide separately at night.

I think having lots of open water (most open aquascape I've ever done), a deeper/taller tank, and a little more volume overall helped them settle in better this time.

Just some thoughts....it might pan out for you....who knows.

Thanks,
Ed

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome!

OP
OP
AcanSweeper

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd offer some thoughts on the chromis...

I have tried several times with different tanks to have "schooling" chromis. It has never worked out until my most recent tank which is a 150 high (48x24x30").

I tried in a 90 and a 120 and both times ended up with 2.

This time I added 5 and ended up with 4 that have been together for about a year now. They stay up in the water column together during the day, and then hide separately at night.

I think having lots of open water (most open aquascape I've ever done), a deeper/taller tank, and a little more volume overall helped them settle in better this time.

Just some thoughts....it might pan out for you....who knows.

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks for the info Ed! I was hoping for schooling higher in the water column since I have a tall tank. I might try with 4-5 see what happens if it's a failure I'll prob get a couple banggai and firefish instead.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back