Hi everyone!!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome !!! :cool:
Canisters are old tech which will work but such a hassel to clean . Depending on size of tank , under cabinet sump filters are very popular . but if it’s a small tank look into aio or all in one tanks . Rock in the tank is predominately your filter but to effectively remove particulates / mechanical back filters on a all in one or a sump is the way now . Then depending on the bio load you may add a skimmer .

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Getting back into a saltwater tank. Set up my first tank in 2005, broke it down and sold it in 2012 after a major move. This time around it's for my daughter's room. Took a trip to a local store recently and when they mentioned the "new way" to run tanks was typically with a fluval canister I knew I had to find somewhere to read in depth about new tech, vs the 'old way' of doing things. I see lighting has changed a lot, (welcome LED) automation is now more common than it was in 2005, rimless tanks more common, etc. In my area, back in 2005, live rock was the way to go and now tank cycling has changed as well. Lots to learn.

I look forward to learning about some new technology and relearning old school saltwater tank care. I figure it's like riding a bike though....so I am looking forward to the challenge again.
Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100. Problem is, the canister unit is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The aquaclear will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. You can use a canister but expect frequent Regular maintenance

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1691275023900.png

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into a saltwater tank. Set up my first tank in 2005, broke it down and sold it in 2012 after a major move. This time around it's for my daughter's room. Took a trip to a local store recently and when they mentioned the "new way" to run tanks was typically with a fluval canister I knew I had to find somewhere to read in depth about new tech, vs the 'old way' of doing things. I see lighting has changed a lot, (welcome LED) automation is now more common than it was in 2005, rimless tanks more common, etc. In my area, back in 2005, live rock was the way to go and now tank cycling has changed as well. Lots to learn.

I look forward to learning about some new technology and relearning old school saltwater tank care. I figure it's like riding a bike though....so I am looking forward to the challenge again.
Captain Rt Podcast GIF by Rooster Teeth

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5412.gif

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back