Hi! I'm new here.

BuaidhNoBas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just joined MTRC tonight. I'm getting back into the hobby - had a 55g reef tank a few years ago but have been out of the hobby for a while. I'm originally from the Tri Cities area; we just moved to Nashville about a year and a half ago, and I'm ready to get my tank set back up.

I've got an Oceanic 30g cube that's in the planning stages right now. Just ordered a Modular Marine ghost-style overflow that I plan on plumbing in a Bean Animal style. Thinking about a Kessil 360 for lighting - think that might be overkill? Still finalizing my skimmer plans but I'm thinking Reef Octopus. Trying to decide about a controller; I'm going with at least a Reefkeeper and may spring for an Apex.

I'm going to make a DIY custom sump; I'll ask in a separate thread about local acrylic sources.

Anyway, nice to meet you guys, and I look forward to seeing you guys soon at a meeting.

-Dave

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome & welcome back to the hobby! Good luck with the build! Looking forward to the pics of your set up and sump!

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back, Dave!

I would definitely save up and splurge for the Apex, I've had both and there is no comparison.

OP
OP
BuaidhNoBas

BuaidhNoBas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I may be back in East TN the weekend of the next meeting, building my sump. If not, I'll try to come.

Do you think I could get away with Kessil 160 for a tank that's 21 inches square? One potential problem is that my canopy is only about 11 or 12 inches tall, so it would be relatively close to the water - I worry about not getting enough light to the edges.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back